What food do you miss? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
Rabidly Xenophilic

Default What food do you miss?

I spent a day and a half hanging out with a bunch of English backpackers in Quito....all day on Friday they were talking about traditional English roast and how it was delicious and they wanted some badly after a few months on the road.

They found out the English pub was run by an expat, and decided to have lunch there on Sunday. So we went to the English pub and find that it isn´t open on Sunday. I´ve never seen a group of people more horrified and disappointed in my life when they first laid eyes on the gate bolted shut, their expression was as though someone had just told them their dog died.

I wonder what other nationalities miss the most? I guess I´d say that every slice of pizza I´ve ever had out of the country has been disappointing, even though pizza places are common everywhere. Pizza just varies a lot and it isn´t the same (and no this doesn´t include Italy, haven´t been there yet :D)
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
The " ... " queen of TP!

for me, it varies based on where I travel to. For example, in africa I missed getting salads or veggies with all you meals as it straight up doesn't really happen there....whereas in france I didnt really miss anything because it was all there!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

i miss brown sauce

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Members

I was in Europe and the only thing I regularly missed was chips and salsa (or any Tex-Mex for that matter). Finally broke down and ordered nachos in Germany and they were hands down the worst nachos I've ever had but it didn't matter. I finally had some kind of Tex-Mex and I was in the best mood all day, haha.

Other Countries I've Been To: Canada, India, Ireland, Mexico and United Arab Emirates
indietrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

i REALLY missed meat pies after just a week in cambodia. haha best things ever to eat when your drunk!!

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Guac it up!

I really miss milk when I travel! Most people seem to just use it for cooking and coffee, I use it for chugging
Old 07-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
Certified Wise

I missed Big M's which are an Aussie brand of flavoured milk, you can't get a good choccie milk/ice coffee in Europe. Also there is an Australian chocolate bar called a Cherry Ripe which I was craving badly.

..and Vegemite of course.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulduke View Post
..and Vegemite of course.
I think every Aussie would agree with this.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
TPunk Moderator

Yes Tex Mex/Mexican food I miss when travelling! They key though is to check out the expat websites for dining tips and look for American owned places. There is an awesome place in Krakow owned by an American guy. His burritos are an oasis in a sea of the sometimes blah backpacker diet. This post is making me hungry... Also my preferred soda is Diet Coke, which they only have coca cola light on the continent.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
Drifter in the making.

I miss Kraft Dinner, Perogies and Tim Hortons... OH and Poutine, and some of the chocolate bars from home... fairly classic Canadian response.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

I don't want to piss off any vegetarians, but a nice big cheeseburger was all I craved from about the 3rd week of my trip until the end. I met someone else from the east coast and all we could talk about was 5 guys burgers. I know they have chains of them in NC, VA, MD, and DE (not sure about other east coast states), but if you've never had one, you definitely need to try it.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizz View Post
Also my preferred soda is Diet Coke, which they only have coca cola light on the continent.
THANK YOU! I missed Diet Coke SO MUCH when I was in Europe. Also when I was deployed cos all the pop came from Germany so it was again Coca-Cola light. And it's like that in Mexico too.

I roughed it in Mexico cos it was like no Diet Coke and at the time I didn't like Corona... so no Miller in Mexico either... what is a girl to do?!

I missed good breakfast food (as in like pancakes, etc) when I traveled. At the hostels it was like toast and cereal which was totally fine, but I craved pancakes for like EVER. I didn't see any places to grab breakfast that didn't just have eggs and meat. Maybe this is why America is fat, I dunno lol. But I did hit up the crepe guy at the train station in Dortmund... fill that bastard with applesauce and cinnamon.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:36 AM   #13
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I always thought Diet Coke and Coca Cola Light were the same thing?!
lauren313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:20 AM   #14
TPunk. Recognize.

me too...except Coke Light might be made with real sugar as opposed to our American version which has high fructose corn syrup. Not sure on that. I know Mexican soda uses real sugar. mmmmm...
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

High fructose corn syrup is basically cheaply made sugar(from corn)... It's absolutely horrible for you. You want to know why America is so obese? Start with this ingredient...

Diet Coke usually has artificial sweeteners(like Nutrasweet/Sweetnlow/Splenda). These have no calories.

Coke Light, I can't remember. I don't drink it, and both are rubbish . Now Coke with real sugar is amazing, and much better for you than the American version.

Now onto what I miss... Chicken Shwarma with Garlic Sauce from Lolitas in Paddington. If I could ever find a place in American that had anything similar to garlic sauce(most of it is that crappy cucumber stuff), I'd cry.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

molsongirl - are perogies easy to find out east or are you of slavic descent? I know my sis fou nd a ukranian/russian restaurant in melbourne and payed like $18 for 6 perogies cuz she missed em alot.

Now, as for what I miss when travelling, well, I search for borscht soup alot and have found it a few places. Also, north american style bacon. Not canadian bacon, just properly made/smoked pieces of bacon, not this rasher crap. PIZZA!!!! even in italy. didn't mind the thin crust, wood fired pizza, but not my preference. hmm, i'm sure theres alot more i'm not thinking of right now.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #17
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Biscuits and gravy.
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:22 PM   #18
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sasquatch View Post
molsongirl - are perogies easy to find out east or are you of slavic descent?.
I can answer that for you, yeah they're quite easy to find in toronto. They're a fast food basic at many fried food places....

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Honestly, I just missed my mom's rice and beans. What's a girl gotta do for some rice, beans and some hot sauce?!

I can see now I will never survive at college if one week had me salivating by the time I got home.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #20
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKguacamole View Post
I really miss milk when I travel! Most people seem to just use it for cooking and coffee, I use it for chugging
Ditto. Trying to order just plain milk in Europe is a hassle and will get you some odd looks, and even if they do actually give you just plain milk it will almost always be room temperature. I need milk when I order pastries!
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote