Baracked! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake
Default Baracked!

YES WE CAN!
but more so
YES WE DID!!

No more horrible taxi rides in foreign countries being interregated by the driver as to why my president is a terrible person. No more feeling the need to flee the border and relocate to somewhere "safe." No more fear of how many more wars we are going to start.

No more international hate.

I am so proud of my country today!!!
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
The " ... " queen of TP!

dont count your chickens before they hatch Jake....you may have switched presidents but you still have no idea what's going to happen within his 4 years of office...

(although I'm still happy to see him win)

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

I agree. It's a step in the right direction. But only a step.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

i think its AWESOME!!!

no more need to pay out Americans, for once they done what the world wanted!!

check out this link http://www.iftheworldcouldvote.com/results looks like the whole world was practically a blue state!

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #5
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

^that's so cool.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

I like the map! Echos the voices of the world very nicely. Wow what a night eh! I must say I got choked up when he won. Change is indeed ahead. Though I must admit I really like McCains speech tonight.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #7
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

^me too. i was choked up through out all of Obama's speech.

and as much as I think that McCain is a terrible public speaker, i think his heart was in the right place with his speech.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

I'm so glad he won! It's so exciting to see someone new and fresh being elected.
and I could never hear McCain's name without thinking of McCain's frozen pizzas...
Old 11-05-2008, 03:13 AM   #9
T-PUNK PRIVATE

I just opened the radio and heard your election resoults! Concratulations Obama and America! I hope that his selection is a step forward like a female president in our country was!!
Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #10
TPunk. Recognize.

So can we go back to putting American flags on our backpacks?
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:00 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbo108 View Post
So can we go back to putting American flags on our backpacks?
Easy killer. Don't get ahead of yourself haha. Better stick with the Maple Leaf for now.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 AM   #12
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I think this part of his speech last night (a moving one!) sums it all up:

If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.

It's the answer told by lines that stretched around schools and churches in numbers this nation has never seen, by people who waited three hours and four hours, many for the first time in their lives, because they believed that this time must be different, that their voices could be that difference.
It's the answer spoken by young and old, rich and poor, Democrat and Republican, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Native American, gay, straight, disabled and not disabled. Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states.

We are, and always will be, the United States of America.

now if fucking California would NOT pass Prop 8 (or Prop 4 for that matter) all would be well in the world.

let's go ahead and check out once more...

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarlotteDorian View Post
and as much as I think that McCain is a terrible public speaker, i think his heart was in the right place with his speech.
yeah well he may have been nice and all but his people in the crowd were sour and nasty. mature.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 11-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

I did like McCain's speech and it definitely sounded like he meant every word of it. I wasn't exactly pleased with how he ran his campaign towards the end, but he was persistent with stopping the booing at rallies. On the other hand, Obama supporters cheered when Obama mentioned McCain in his speech. I wonder if that would have been the case had McCain won...

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:52 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
yeah well he may have been nice and all but his people in the crowd were sour and nasty. mature.
I agree that they should have been more courteous, but they were probably just as enthusiastic about John McCain as other people were about Obama. I sure as hell know that if McCain won, I'd be extremely bitter and wondering where things went wrong. I don't know if I'd have booed McCain, but I definitely wouldn't have been happy.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #16
french touch

This is defintively good news for U.S. travellers !

And as for the world map, I love how only Macedonia and Albania would have elected McCain. Why do these countries have a preference for Republicans ?

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #17
TPunk. Recognize.

Quote:
Better stick with the Maple Leaf for now.
Whoa. While I might not provoke people with the Stars and Stripes, i would never wear another country's flag...just as I would never expect a foreigner to wear ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoum View Post
And as for the world map, I love how only Macedonia and Albania would have elected McCain. Why do these countries have a preference for Republicans ?
That is weird to me. Especially since many Albanians are of Muslim descent I thought they'd be anti-Friends of George Bush besides for the fact that lots of people still think (incorrectly) that Obama is Muslim himself. Well i guess it was just over 50%.
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #18
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I stayed up and watched it last. I had RTE, CNN and NYtime.com on the go at the same time and couldn't sleep until I knew Obama had it won.

Our own RTE news called it very early (sure the bookies paid out on him over a year ago) but their map filled up based on very early numbers and they called the election at around 2am gmt. 8pm ET I think.

Now to see if he can live up to the hype in January.

Highlight of the results had to be the touch screen tv on CNN. :D
Old 11-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #19
TPunk Moderator

^oh yeah, we had CNN on the TV, I had CNN.com, Andrew Sullivan's live blog up, the Columbus Dispatch's website up (for the local results) and I was iming back and forth with Brett and Brooke haha.

this holograms they had on CNN were kinda cool. looked lik that old school "guess who" game

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #20
TPunk Recognized

I was at a local theater watching the results, and at one point they turned on Comedy Central. I like Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert a lot, but for an important election, I'd rather watch something where they are giving more up to date results. When they turned back to CNN, we had missed a ton of projections because of how behind CC was.