i've already had the time of my life in college! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia
Default i've already had the time of my life in college!

okay so i've been in school (St. Mary's College of Maryland) for about... 4 days and I already have an absolutely insane story. Now that it's been a couple of days, this story just keeps getting stranger and less scary and just plain funnier.

I'm just going to copy this from my LJ:

Quote:
Yesterday there was a hypnotist and all the orientees and OLs went to go watch. He had like... 15 or so volunteers from the audience and there were people who were completely obviously faking it (mostly the non-faking people looked comatose until he told them to do something and they hardly moved otherwise, but this girl was fidgeting, laughing, talking, etc.). But then most of them seemed very into it.

Anyway, halfway through, I realized that I couldn't move my hands. And I wanted to turn to Shannon and ask her to shake me, but I couldn't. And I kept leaning forward. My head had never felt so heavy. And that happened for a while, and then he told the volunteers at the front that a dog had been run over by a truck and I started sobbing uncontrollably. And then I calmed down a little. Then, our OL John Campbell called me to tell me something and when I looked over I just went CRAZY. I don't really know what happened. John said I screamed and then fell forward, Shannon said she heard me laugh, but I have a weird sense of what happened when.

I know at some point, I fell forward into the bleachers into my friend's lap. I know I went from crying to laughing to crying and laughing again. I know that someone told me to wake up and when I opened my eyes I just wanted to go back to "sleep" cause everyone was looking at me, and I did. Then the hypnotist started talking to me from the floor and telling me to smile and I couldn't stop. I must have been smiling for five minutes and my lips were quivering and I thought absently that maybe this should hurt. I remember my OLs practically carrying me down the stairs at the end of the show.

Then the hypnotist had to "wake up" me and two other girls who had less... dramatic side effects to watching the show. (Did I mention that I was in hysterics and all 400+ people stopped paying attention to the show to watch me have a seemingly mental breakdown?) It was weird. I had my eyes open but I couldn't really talk on my own (even though I wanted to) and I couldn't... do much unless Dan told me to (he told us to sleep and I "slept" but I could hear everything). I was only able to sit up straight when he told me to, too. Can I just tell you how scary that was? Someone points to you and says "Sleep!" and you can't NOT do it even though you just want to stay up.

Anyway, he mentioned that we would drink more water and that water would make us feel better emotionally and physically and that we would sleep soundly and a bunch of other stuff. And then he woke us up for real and I could actually move my limbs when I wanted to. He said the reason why I could remember things was because I wasn't as deep into the hypnosis as the participants were but god damn it I wish I had gone deeper. I KNEW what I was doing each moment, but I couldn't STOP it, which was the only really scary part.

But anyway. Water has never felt so refreshing. I've probably drank 12 cups alone in the past 10 hours.

Besides that, college has been relatively normal. I love our Orientation Group and everyone I met has been super nice.
Sorry it's so ungodly long! I just had to write everything out to try and figure out exactly what happened and stop thinking about it so much!

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

that is freaking hilarious. I've always wondered about hypnosis. Now I know!
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

That's crazy! I think my college brought in hypnotists, but I never actually went to see any of the shows.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #4
Guac it up!

That's awesome, we've definitely had some hypnotists and crazy performers on our campus also.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #5
Rabidly Xenophilic

haha...are you sure that your first 4 days of certain substances and lack of sleep weren't a factor here??
Old 08-31-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

LOLLLLLLLLL! I love it!

We had a hypnotist come to our campus and because I was the PR chair for SPC (student planning committee... the folks who bring you all the campus shit like that) I was "voluntold" to be one that is hypnotized.

Well. I was under (SO BIZARRE PS) and the guy had me serenade the dude next to me who was supposed to be my boyfriend and so I busted out with that one really crass part of Chingy's "Holidae Inn" that goes "stop drop KABOOM baby rub on ya nipples, some call me Ludacris, some call me Mr. Wiggles!"

WTF. Nice song!!!!! I don't even like rap music!

That's a fab story. Glad college is treatin' ya well!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

LoL! Wow that sounds pretty cool. I don't think my college ever had hypnotists while I was going. I've always wondered if it could actually be done!
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:03 PM   #8
Artist of Life

Wow...you know when I was in first year orientation, a very similar experience happened to me. I volunteered to be hypnotized during an event with 15 other people, and when we were up there, the hypnotist told us to imagine our hands were glued together. I started to actually think my hands were glued together... and I made myself snap out of it... it was too trippy for me.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
Tpunk Senior Moderators

haha yeah the hands glued together was a test he made the audience do to see if we were susceptible enough.

and to tell you the truth, i think this is the longest i've gone without a drink in a couple of months! this summer my family and i would usually have a beer and some bar b que, and i haven't had that in over a week! (my RA is also kind of a bitch, anyway).

so, because of this, i am now one of the, while not most popular, most recognizable people on campus. its either "oh, you're the girl with the tattoo!!" (i get a lot of compliments for that) or "Oh! You're Julie the girl who went crazy at the hypnosis thing!"

now, off to my first class!!

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

Wow, that's awesome! I've always been very intrigued by hypnosis and wanted a deep experience like yours or to learn how to do it myself...
So, VERY COOL!!! I'm jealous!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Tpunk Senior Moderators

actually, self hypnosis isn't that hard. you can't really get a crazy tap dancing routine type thing out of it, but you can freak yourself out/help yourself get to sleep.

to help myself get to sleep, i sometimes imagine that my hands are lead weights and theyre melting into the cover. after a while, it's very, very difficult to move your hands. it's like a switch though; if you freak out enough and force yourself to move your hands, you will. it's an odd feeling, but it helps me get to bed when i'm feeling restless.

when i told the hypnotizer that i did that every once in a while, he said that that's probably a reason why i was so susceptible to it. and also maybe because subconciously i wanted to be hypnotized.

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 09-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #12
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Haha, thats brilliant!!!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliagulia View Post
haha yeah the hands glued together was a test he made the audience do to see if we were susceptible enough.

and to tell you the truth, i think this is the longest i've gone without a drink in a couple of months! this summer my family and i would usually have a beer and some bar b que, and i haven't had that in over a week! (my RA is also kind of a bitch, anyway).

so, because of this, i am now one of the, while not most popular, most recognizable people on campus. its either "oh, you're the girl with the tattoo!!" (i get a lot of compliments for that) or "Oh! You're Julie the girl who went crazy at the hypnosis thing!"

now, off to my first class!!
Ahhhh frosh week. I envy all you froshies. The first week of university was up there in some of the best times I ever had... its not the top, however. That is saved for Greece.... hahahahahaha

But I also say this to all the first years: do not fuck up your academics with partying! Not saying you will, but as I said, I say this to everyone, because I narrowly skated by first year and it would haunt me until 4th year, when I got straight As but still graduated with a 2 point something GPA. (Which I actually am glad, since I didn't get into grad school on first try, which I credit for all the cool jobs I have done since graduating).

So actually when I think about it, fucking up first year was not a bad thing. All the same: don't party your academics away!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

you know what you need

chicken fried bacon

that would make college complete

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #15
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

hmm... does it come on a stick? They simply don't have enough meats on a stick nowadays!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0urt View Post
you know what you need

chicken fried bacon

that would make college complete
I like fried chicken, and I like bacon, but bro - that is just dirttyyy

Old 09-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #17
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to offhegoes03

They sell bacon flavored ice cream up in Rehobeth Beach, DE.. there are actually bacon chunks in it.. I could barely finish the small sample that I tried of it.

Barcelona and Beyond, My 2008 European Blog:
http://www.travelpunk.com/blogs/offhegoes03
offhegoes03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
Rabidly Xenophilic

Maybe if you fried the ice cream the bacon would be a more natural flavor :D
Old 09-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
Tpunk Senior Moderators

hahahahaha

WHAT have you all done with my thread?

back to the point :-P

so in about... four hours i managed to get a better tan than i did like... all summer. i went kayaking and i just can't believe how GORGEOUS the campus is. my dorm's common room has a huge balcony that overlooks the water... the view alone compensates for the fact that i'm on the furthest end of campus and that i have absolutely no ac. all the people in calvert (my dorm hall) are so chill and nice and the campus is full of trees and the pond and the river...

so yeah, i have to say that the academics (one of only two public honor colleges in the country) was just icing on the cake that is st mary's.

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #20
TPunk Emeritus

Maybe I missed the thread... but what are you studying??

(besides the art of cathching an entire auditorium's attention??) :P
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote