Euthanasia for an animal - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Default Euthanasia for an animal

So who here has had to 'put an animal down'? My mom called me today to tell me that she was putting our cat of 15 years down. It hurts so much. I basically grew up with her. And with my mom crying on the phone I guess it doesn't help....

So who here is a fan of the animal world and has felt the pain of having to decide life or death for an animal ..
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:55 PM   #2
Certified Wise

Sorry to hear about that.

I lost my dog not long ago and yeah, it sucks. However I would far prefer to have a pet euthanised where it can pass on peacefully, painlessly and surrounded by those who love it rather then let it grow weaker and weaker and run the chance of it dying alone and in pain.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
Yoda

I'm so sorry, babe. I had to do this not long ago with my dog, who was 16 years old. It was one of the most difficult, heart-wrenching things I've ever done, even though it was the right decision. It still hurts. I miss her terribly.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #4
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

I put a 17 year old dog down a couple months ago for a friend. He's normally a tough cookie who shows no signs of emotion but he had to walk away, now I have become known as 'the guy who will kill your dog.' I am not like that but if you need help...you know who to call...

Sorry about your kitty dio.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

I had to put down a dog last year that we had for 17 years as well. We had her longer than we've had my brother.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:15 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

I can totally relate. I have had pets since I was a kid. I had a cat growing up that was born on my bed when I was like 3 or 4 years old. She lived to be 22 years old and was this frail little thing. I have gone through the euthansia several times and it is very, very hard. You just have to try to look at the enjoyment and love that both you and your pet got out of the relationship and appreciate it for what it was and also that as was mentioned above, it is probably the best way for an animal, or anyone for that matter, to go out, being surrounded by family. Also, if the vet is recommending euthanasia then I imagine your cat is probably having a lot of problems or may be in a lot of pain and so this is probably best for her. At some point, if your quality of life is poor, it is more a releif than anything else to not have to suffer - I would want the same for myself. My thoughts are with you, I know it is really tough.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to micdans

I can relate also. My dog of 15 years was put to sleep last week. I was at school and I was almost sure that when I said goodbye to Sage several weeks ago, that would be the last time I saw her. She was an awesome dog. It's much harder for my mom tho, who now is all alone in the house.
It's great thinking of all those wonderful times I had with her...

I enjoyed listening to the song "goldie's last day" by "PFR."
micdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

^ that's the same that happened to me. I visited my mom and cat three weeks ago and I thought that was going to be the last time that I saw my cat because she was getting really frail. So I said goodbye to her....But now my mom is in the house all alone. Damn animals they capture our hearts too much.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've been in that situation more than once, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #10
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

It always hard loosing a pet, especially one you've had for a long time. They certainly become "family"

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Dio baby, I feel ya I had to put my dog Spencer down just about a year ago and it was so sad for me, i had to have my brother take him to the vet cause I would be such a mess that i would not let it happen. Now all i think of is the great times we had together.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Been there, too. One of the roughest things I've had to go through. They are your friends, and losing a friend is always tough...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #13
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

its definitely a really difficult thing to go through...I worked at a vet for 4 years and it never got easier...they are absolutely family members and its very painful

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote