The Mysteries of Hunting for Flights - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #21
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Oh I thought he was just browsing other stuff. I agree though, Spain rocks. But I think I just don't have a very strong desire to see much of Asia besides Thailand & Laos and India. I have little to no desire to see Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, China, etc... perhaps the Great Wall, but that's kind of stupid to go just for that since I don't wanna see it that bad anyway... it's like buying your own 747 just for the peanuts or something. LOL

but yeah, Spain. COME ON. Madrid...Barcelona....Valencia...Toledo... day trip to Morocco... That is where it's at. Makes me wanna go back cos I haven't been in like 7 years...

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #22
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
I have little to no desire to see Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, China
So why Laos over say, China? You ought to really reconsider. Singapore I can see but not China?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #23
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

look if someone came up to me and gave me an all expenses paid trip to china, I would go and be excited about it even! (and I would go see the great wall!) but I guess there are many other places out there I would like to go other than asia.

and I think the language barrier scares me a little. my sorority sister studied in australia for a year and she said she took a week long trip to somewhere in china and like no one spoke english and it wasn't like being in europe where you can figure it out because of the romance or germanic languages.... even the cryllic alphabet you can learn and be self sufficient. she said she had no idea what was going on and almost had an anxiety attack between that and all the people crammed together, she said she couldn't even have a good time.

I think the only kind of trip to asia I would consider taking would be some sort of buddhist themed trip where we visitied monestaries and monks and it was a spiritual trip.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #24
TPunk Moderator

I don't know if that makes me narrow minded or what, because I am sure china has a beautiful contryside and a lot to offer, but language barriers really intimidate me. I seriously considered not going to russia at all, despite the fact the one thing I want to do before I die is go to moscow and see this monet painting in the pushkin, but I almost decided not to go after reading in a guidebook that it was very difficult to find people who spoke english, or english signs anywhere.

in fact, despite the fact that I have wanted to go to krakow & auschwitz forever, I am like sick already about the possibility of everything being in polish. I was trying to find maps and I found one all in polish and I was like "how the fuck am I going to get from the airport to my hostel?"

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 PM   #25
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

No, I am still planning on making Spain my trip... I was just browsing around to see what was on the other other side of the big pond.

My big problem is I am kind of torn... I am looking to go back to school in the fall... so that means I would have to make the trip in August. Whilst I prefer to avoid the rush of the tourist season, I have little choice unless I wait til May of the following year. But waiting is more waiting and damnit I have been putting this off for 3 years. I am looking at something like August 14-26/27. I figure I would fly into Madrid, definitely hit up Barcelona, possibly Valencia... and my damned warped sense has this desire to take like 2 days and just off to another country on ryan air (not like france or something close... like warsaw... why? Probably my strange love of road trips... roar into a city hang out for a day or two, see what i can have a good time and be gone, so why not go on a "road trip" in Europe too.).

I know Barcelona is a major hub for Ryan Air so the possibilities are there.

Spain is definitely one of my first choices... the next closest is Italy. But I want to spend at least a nice 3-4 weeks in Italy I think.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #26
TPunk Moderator

you must do spain, it's wonderful, and valencia was my favorite of all the cities in spain. barcelona is great, as is madrid, but I just loved the hell out of valencia. toledo is great as well.

then again I haven't been since I was 17, so my advice is prolly a lil outdated. haha

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #27
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Nic, I'm with you on the language barrier thing, it really freaks me out, it seriously will have some impact on the trips I decide to take in the future. Bad, I know, but I guess it's just the kind of person I am.

In regards to the Mentos and Diet Coke... if I had a Mento in my mouth and took a swig of Diet Coke, what would happen?!
Old 12-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #28
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Language barriers are fun... it's the joy of having to figure out a way to communicate.

Mentos and Coke in the mouth probably wouldn't do much more than pop rocks and coke... your mouth isn't quite the same as a bottle. Probably wouldn't drink enough coke to fill your mouth and there are lots of places for the gas to escape. basically the mentos just cause the carbonation to be released quickly.

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

Sijuki@gmail.com
Old 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I don't mind the language barrier at all. I think it may partly be that I don't pay attention to what people say in English. I do want to go to China and Vietnam someday.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:57 AM   #30
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
In regards to the Mentos and Diet Coke... if I had a Mento in my mouth and took a swig of Diet Coke, what would happen
You would gain the ability to shoot a stream of coke out of your nostrils that would travel 15 to 20 ft.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #31
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie View Post
You would gain the ability to shoot a stream of coke out of your nostrils that would travel 15 to 20 ft.
I don't believe you... prove it.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:36 AM   #32
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
you must do spain, it's wonderful, and valencia was my favorite of all the cities in spain. barcelona is great, as is madrid, but I just loved the hell out of valencia. toledo is great as well.

then again I haven't been since I was 17, so my advice is prolly a lil outdated. haha
I am afraid so Nicole, as a matter of fact, a few of those cities don't exist anymore, others have moved. Spain is really a different place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijuki View Post
My big problem is I am kind of torn... I am looking to go back to school in the fall... so that means I would have to make the trip in August.
Why not this May? The flights are cheaper then and the hostels/sites aren't jammed to the gills. Oh and Ryan Air out of Girona (Barcelona) flies to Warsaw

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation

Last edited by joe7f; 12-06-2007 at 09:41 AM.
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #33
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
I am afraid so Nicole, as a matter of fact, a few of those cities don't exist anymore, others have moved. Spain is really a different place
oh damn... I knew I should have gone back to spain one more time. it must be because they switch from the peseta to the euro... some cities just said "well fuck this" LOL

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #34
An Optimistic Realist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post

Why not this May? The flights are cheaper then and the hostels/sites aren't jammed to the gills. Oh and Ryan Air out of Girona (Barcelona) flies to Warsaw

--Joey

I won't have money this May, plus I am in my buddy's wedding in the beginning of May and it's not allowed to take vacation from work the last two weeks of May

Sijuki@gmail.com