need an opinion on my instructor - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-24-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
TPunk Moderator

Thumbs up

Here some quick background info: I am a high school student. Through my high school I can get college and high schools credits. Basically you pass a test and sign up for the class and the local community college sends over an instructor to teach as he would a regular college class.

So here is the story: I went to my first public speaking class today and I really think this instructor is out of line, but I'm not sure since I haven't had that many of these courses and I know a lot of people here have more experience with college/university instructors.

Just a sampling of the many great things he did today while he went over the syllabus: He goes up to a male student and says "If you are giving birth you will be excused from class" and he tells a female student that she doesn't need to be in his class because she is too pretty and she can find a rich man. He goes up to me and says "I always have one who tries to be the class clown." (I'm a bit new here so let me tell you, I am the exact opposite of the class clown!) This is what he did to people who did not provoke him. Its not as if they were talking or ignoring him and were asking for it.

He goes around to various people and puts the withdrawl class form in their face and says "Are you a loser?" Well I guess I'm a loser, because I am dropping the class.

Do you think this guy is just being tough or is he out of line? If he is out of line do you think I should say something to the counselor in charge of the program? This is his first time teaching at my high school so no one else would have had the opportunity to complain.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
Yoda

Being a teacher does NOT automatically mean someone is right all the time or that you have to accept their behavior. That said, some people are just eccentric.

If you truly have a problem with an instructor, it's probably going to be more difficult to learn anything in their class. Just my opinion. *shrug* Good luck.

*edited to clarify ^: if you have options for other available instructors, that is. Otherwise, if you're stuck, well, it's tough titties!
Old 01-24-2006, 05:09 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

I'd give it a few classes. Some instructors have some odd methods, but he may have been trying to prove a point. You have nothing to lose by sticking it out for a few more classes, but you may regret it down the road dropping it so quickly. It doesn't sound as if he'd been abusive, just sort of odd. Wait him out a bit. That's my opinion.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #4
Ohio State's #1 Fan

Send a message via AIM to Brookers13 Send a message via MSN to Brookers13

heres my opinion...

college professors are COMPLETELY different from high school teachers....

that being said, college is also COMPLETELY different from high school.....

I acutally love the difference between them...college is 2397493242 times better to me than high school ever was.

Profs are allowed to be a lot more liberal than high school teachers and say a lot more...they can use different approaches...which i like but i can definitely see others who dont like that.

i definitely think its a bad idea to drop the class after the first day of anything...just keep an open mind and give it a go...

"I wanna be there, I wanna go back down and get high by the sea there, with a tin cup for a chalice, fill it up with good red wine, and ill be chewin' on a honeysuckle vine...." - Jimmy
Brookers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

My first college professor was almost exactly like yours. Our first class (this being my first college class ever) involved him sitting in the back of the class but making us face forward. He had everyone of us (about 20) student remember everyone's name. If we didn't we'd have to recite them over and over until we did. Later in the class he made two students (both female) get in front of the class and say "I love you" to each other. Oddly enough he took the 'I love you' thing and turned it into a neat lesson which I won't go into detail about.

I stuck it out, mainly because the class was online and we only meet in person 3 times that semester. But during our second meeting he was much nicer after as he said 'weeded out the underachievers'. Acutally it turned out to be a positive experience because even with his 'weird' methods we ended up learning more than other classes because we were paying attention so closely (as to not attract attention to ourselves)

I say stick it out for a few more classes. If nothing happens I say either talk with your advisor or speak to the professor one-on-one.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I have a teacher similar to yours (except its an AP course, not an actual college professor coming in from a commuinty college and all that jazz).

Basically, she gave us a huge summer assignment and over the summer her class number went from about 60 to less than 30. She had to drop a whole class and her only other class besides mine only had 12 students.

Then she proceeded in making our first two weeks of school HELL giving us readings every night and essays every few nights. And during class she would make crazy comments on congress and past chief justices and made us do things that had NOTHING to do with American Government.

And we had to keep up with our readings alone at home. Needless to say her class numbers again dropped. Now my class has 13 students and the other 10.

After that she explained to us that she does this every year to make sure that the students in her class are truly dedicated and are willing to work hard.

I still can't stand her teaching method and she's still crazy, but I'm not there to like the teacher... I'm there to learn.

So stick it out. If the guy continues his weird behavior, then tell the counselor. From where I'm standing it looks like he just wants to mess with you guys...

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
TPunk Moderator

Brooke - I definately agree about college being different. In the few courses I've taken (5 so far) I can really see the difference. I even get better grades in my college courses. Taking Western Civ really got me into wanting to travel because the prof. would talk about all the different cultures and such.

Julia - I took AP European History and AP US History and that doesn't sound too different than what we did.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to see the advisor tomorrow and work something out.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
Assistant to the Manager

Send a message via MSN to IDDQD

I'd tell him to watch himself if he keeps it up. Teachers are just people and sometimes step out of line. Usually if you say something to them, they'll get the point and cut the crap.

If he persists, dont forget that you are in a public system that cant pick and choose the students like a university. Therefore, you have the power. Take it above his head and cause some shit. Watch him shut up.

I've dealt with this type before...

....And then it's just hilarious
IDDQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
You want fries with that?

Ahh, the tenured College Professor.

They tend to think the world revolves around them. This being said, inside their classroom, it actually does. Therefore, you have two choices: Suck it up, or get out.

But FWIW, if it is WAY outta line, you don't have to take it. But calling you a class clown isn't. Grow a thicker skin and move on.

And remember this, as well: I had a chef instructor this past semester that rode me especially hard. Constant ridicule, etc. Drove me harder to do better. I wound up with a B in his class. He graded me harder than other students, mostly because he knew my reputation. I apprenticed under a chef that employed him for about 3 or 4 years. Not that I couldn't take it, but I dreaded his class mostly because I knew I wasn't getting a fair shake. Come the end of the semester, when the teacher review sheets came out, I blasted him for his unfair grading and apparent lack of professionalism. This same chef was "culinary instructor of the year" for Maryland in 2004 or so. Not a feather in his cap. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

This current semester I am skipping, because the next culinary class that I need for my degree, he teaches this semester, and I won't subject myself to it if i can avoid it. I will stick around and resume in the fall with a different chef. There is only so much bullshit even I can handle, and I work in one of the more stressful jobs around. that, and I need the $$ badly, so paying for school this semester is out.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Quote:
Originally posted by lizz@Jan 25 2006, 12:16 AM
Julia - I took AP European History and AP US History and that doesn't sound too different than what we did.
[snapback]99918[/snapback]
*shrug* all i know is now we only have to read wilson and take the tests. she just did all that crap to make us stress.

anyhow i agree with joker... Calling you a class clown isn't all that out of line, but if you're more comfortable dropping the course, then do what you feel is best for you. We can give you all the opinions of the world but in the end the only one that matters is yours.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
TPunk Moderator

I dropped the class and chose Sociology instead. I didn't really want to wait a few more class meetings because I would be behind in my new class if I decided to switch later. Thanks for your opinions everyone. I will keep them in mind in the future.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #12
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Whatever makes you happy and school less stressful, thats the key i find doing the bare minimum does that for me j/k (well, actually... no i'm not )

Hows sociology? have you got an essay yet? not to blow my own trumpet ( ) i'm a genius at sociology

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:56 AM   #13
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rozza@Jan 25 2006, 02:51 PM
Hows sociology? have you got an essay yet? not to blow my own trumpet ( ) i'm a genius at sociology
[snapback]100004[/snapback]
No essay yet. The class started on Tuesday but my first class will be tomorrow. I'll be sure to quote you in all my essays O Expert One.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by lizz@Jan 24 2006, 06:26 PM
he tells a female student that she doesn't need to be in his class because she is too pretty and she can find a rich man. He goes up to me and says "I always have one who tries to be the class clown." (I'm a bit new here so let me tell you, I am the exact opposite of the class clown!)
[snapback]99875[/snapback]
So, are you really pissed cuz he called you the clown instead of the pretty one?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:04 PM   #15
TPunk Moderator

I wouldn't want to be called the pretty once by him because he was implying that pretty girls are not smart enough for school so they should just go find a husband to take care of them.

The class clown remark itself does not upset me, it was his overall demeanor.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #16
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Quote:
Originally posted by lizz@Jan 25 2006, 07:56 PM
I'll be sure to quote you in all my essays O Expert One. *
[snapback]100005[/snapback]
Thats the way to do it And if anyone questions you.... all you have to say is: "Rory O'Donnell (1995) conducted a study the way in which the labeling students and stereotyping results in the 'self fulfilling prophecies' (first theorised by Howard S.Becker (1963), and the subsiquent affect these factors have upon perceived gender bias subject areas in later school careers." of corse you'll need to expand with your opinions but hey.... i cant do everything

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #17
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

by the same token, it may have been his way to encourage students to develop a thick skin (which is probably necessary for public speaking)

I don't personally feel that it's an admirable way to teach, personally, i think it's a cop out by poor instructors to lighten their loads...

but, to each his own...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote