Retiring a travel journal... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
always trippin'

Default Retiring a travel journal...

...and starting a new one. I don't know how many people do stuff like this, but for me it feels kind of like an accomplishment, and kind of sad, like I'm putting a good friend into storage. I finally finished up my journal a day or two ago - not a single blank page remains! I've carried this book over 2.5 years through Taiwan, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Canada, the US, Thailand, China, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia and Jamaica. It's an extension of my head and my heart, full of places I've been, people I've met, doodles and things that I've thought and felt. The old one wraps up somewhere in Atlanta on the recent roadtrip, and the new journal starts up in Florida.

Tony told me to put photos of this baby up, and so I finally am. The binding finally came apart a few days ago, as the last photo shows, and so it's definitely time for new beginnings. The tpunk sticker will continue on, though! If you've met me, you're probably mentioned in here, although different people have different-length commentaries.

Soooo....anyone else here journals the same way? Re-reading these books is such a trip down memory lane, it's crazy.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I recognize that Les Mis brochure!

I have never filled out a journal completely partly because I leave each trip with a new one since I would hate to lose it. I was carrying around a composition book which I learned got soggy from being against my back for hours on end. So I switched to a Moleskine since it has the hard cover (less sog) and elastic strap (more stuff stays in there). For those of you that are planning on a journal but were leaning towards something like a spiral notebook or something, I recommend that you look for a hard back book without rings that bend.

As Hwei mentioned it is great to look back on (all 20 pages of my three journals ). In one, is a drawing from a 5 year old girl I met in Spain who wants to be an artist :D

I also started pre-Journaling before my most recent trip to predict what I would think of different cities so when I am older I can remember what it was like to not have been to place X.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

ok its hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like you have freakishly neat handwriting! it looks like its been typed up! (or has it?) anyway I'm like Joe and start a new journal for each trip. i don't put anything in them though, just writing. i still keep lots of tickets, maps etc, and they are all in a shoebox that i like to go through and reminisce about trips... i always think i should type up the journal and add photos and tickets etc but i like just reading the handwritten one, really messy if i was on a bumpy train, smudged if it was raining, etc. brings me back to the time i was writing it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
always trippin'

I was waiting for the handwriting comment - it happens a lot. Yes, I have freakishly neat handwriting. I love the 100% handwritten journal, it's so much more personal, and so I leave the typing for my blogs.

I've struggled through the possibility of having my journal stolen/lost on the road, but there really is something crazy satisfying after having completed my first complete log that will keep me from starting a new journal for every trip.

Right now I'm debating if spiral/ring-bound or just sewn is the way to go, but I'm giving the rings a shot after the detaching incident, lol. A travel journal definitely needs to be hard-cover though - even with that mine have taken a lot of beating!

Check out my band!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
Members

I have never kept a journal before but I did pick up a moleskin for my trip to Europe. I can see how reading old experiences can make the whole thing seem real again. I am big on keeping little things that remind me of stuff like tickets and such. Congrats on completing your Journal.
hurr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:02 AM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

I'm one of those journal writers that usually only write when their depressed. It's so fascinating reading back on my journals from 7/8 years ago..I was so clueless..I do get sad retiring journals, but at the same time I look at it as a fresh start, since most of my journals are hella depressing!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
always trippin'

I completely agree...I get such a kick out of reading my hormonal rants as a 14-year old, it's great.

Check out my band!
Old 06-28-2007, 07:42 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

I've only done the Journal thing a couple times. Not sure why, as I always enjoy going back and reading them years later! I guess I know I'll get my writing itch scratched when I write my travelog and put it up on my website.

Of course, since it's going to be online for everyone (and my Mom!) to read, there aren't many "hormonal rants" in my travelogs...!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to c0urt Send a message via MSN to c0urt Send a message via Yahoo to c0urt

sarah has my travel my travel journal right now, i spent like a day freaking out because i couldnt find my germany writings on my computer but i knew i had them somewhere

the new and improved stupidhurts.org
c0urt is offline   Reply With Quote