You know you're a traveler when... - Page 5 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 PM   #81
Members

when you keep your backpack in the front closet...packed.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #82
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

When this excerpt from "The Innocents Abroad" by Mark Twain makes absolute sense to you.

"Very many of the young women are exceedingly pretty and dress with rare good taste. We are gradually and laboriously learning the ill manners of staring them unflinchingly in the face-not because such conduct is agreeable to us, but because it is the custom of the country and they say the girls like it. We wish the learn all the curious, outlandish ways of all the different countries, so that we can "show off" and astonish people when we get home. We wish to excite the envy of our untraveled friends with our strange foreign fashions which we can't shake off. All our passengers are paying strict attention to this thing, with the end in view which I have mentioned. The gentle reader will never, never know what a consummate ass he can become until he goes abroad. I speak now, of course, in the supposition that the gentle reader has not been abroad, and therefore is not already a consummate ass. If the case be otherwise, I beg his pardon and extend to him the cordial hand of fellowship and him brother. I shall always delight to meet an ass after my own heart..."
Old 03-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #83
TPunk Emeritus

That's a really good one Jake!!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #84
Members

Awesome quote, I like very much.

My friend told me today I wasn't going to live past 30. And I was strangely flattered by it.

Also, I think travelers are the only breed that can sit in a circle and brag about things like diarrhea and other hideuosly disgusting parasites/illnesses they've contracted on their adventures. Or maybe that's just me. Social tact is overrated.

You've slept in an airport/bus station/train station/park bench.

You don't shave too often.

When you meet someone, you have a tendency to ask where they're from before asking their name.

JACK KEROUAC
Jennybeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:19 PM   #85
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Oh man. I always ask people where they are from first....and then where they've been....then where they want to go....then their names, almost as an afterthought.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #86
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, I do that to. Especially when you're in transit, names are pretty useless. I'm not going to remember it anyway, and it doesn't add much to the conversation... I guess it's different if you're being introduced to people or something.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #87
Members

You know your a traveler when people (other than border guards) want to look through your passport at your book o stamps.

WhereSheGoes
whereshegoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:43 PM   #88
TPunk Emeritus

When you buy beer at the local store with your passport instead of your driver's license.

(actually some cali places are not taking my Oklahoma license so I whip out the passport. Bitches!)

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #89
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Quote:
When you buy beer at the local store with your passport instead of your driver's license
*ahem*

http://travelpunk.com/boards/showpos...51&postcount=4

You're so 2005
omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #90
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omisan View Post

You're so 2005

LOL oh whatever!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #91
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to MissChick Send a message via MSN to MissChick

when you hang out in the travel section at barnes and noble just waiting to talk to someone about your travels... lol

MissChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #92
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

^I like it!

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #93
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

-if you think the nutcracker is something you did off the high dive
-if you refer to your mother-in-law and wife as 'dual airbags'
-if your mother-in-law can tell a state trooper to kiss her ass without taking a marlboro out of her mouth

you might be a redn....

oh wait... wrong topic

HAHA

I'm sorry, being from the great Appalachian region, any time I hear "you might be a" I always think of Jeff Foxworthy

if you don't get it, thank your parents and family and whichever higher being (if any) you pray to that you annunciate and are elloquent, unlike myself.

:D

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #94
TPunk Recognized

you can go into the international food market in your hometown and make knowledgable decisions about whats good.

(this was inpsired because i found a Super China Market like two blocks from where i work and i found my favorite instant noodles from my four-month China experience)
In various stages of planning: Whistler, BC; Caribbean; NZ/OZ; R-T-W for a year!
zmsmith5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #95
lover of Germany

The thought of a 23hr bus ride intrigues you more than frightens you.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM   #96
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
A hush falls over you at the sight of a world map or globe, and you are irresistably drawn towards it, and stare at it for a long time without saying anything, emotions flickering through you inside -- sad...happy...proud...longing...determination...lo nging...

worldwidemike
Ha! I totally did that the other day at an indigo. I saw these globes that were surprisingly "correct" in their mapping and I was in LOVE. I stood there forever telling myself "I don't need it" and looking through all the countries I've been to/want to go to.

Man, I forgot about this list-epic

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #97
Tpunk Senior Moderators

When you are tired of the first 10 questions of most people you meet in hostels... And you all know the questions.... And its funny how whats your name is maybe 9-10... Jajajaja.... But, Im not being mean either... It is life on the road, it breaks the ice and gives backpackers common ground to build conversation and then life long friendships!!! I lived in one Hostel for 2 months straight, and with the other longterm travelers there, its fun to watch it unfold day after day...