Where DON'T you want to go? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #21
TPunk Emeritus

Great thread, Nicole.

I have to put myself in the category of no strong desire going anywhere that an actual shooting war is going on, or active insurgency, or place that terrs are targetting tourists (like Philippines a few years back, but it's quieted down, now). Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan (stay safe, Nicole!), Columbia, are some current No Go examples.

Other than that, I'd go about anywhere. Funny thing, though, I have no really strong desire to go to Australia right now. I KNOW I will want to go eventually, but I guess I haven't read that article / heard that other traveller's tale / or whateve to spark the desire. Oh, no offense either, Ev! Great to see you back and posting...we missed our resident Ozzie Party man. Now, if we can just scare up Lost Farm Boy, again, from wherever he's disapeared to...!

And Echeverry, you just watch what you say about Ohio...I realize you're probably saying that to pull the numerous Ohioans' collective chains...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #22
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Yeah... OH-IO baby! except the Bucks lost... but we won't talk about that one.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #23
Yoda

Outside of a lot of the Bible Belt of the USA, I can't honestly think of anyplace that I would not go. A lot of places are farther down on the priority list, but not entirely crossed off of it. I made it through one active war zone/insurgency hotbed (Kashmir) and had an amazing, life-changing time. (Seriously though, please reconsider going there if for some strange reason the opportunity comes up. ) While I'm not quite ready to jump right back in to the creepy feeling of being watched by someone-- or several someones-- with a machine gun standing behind a sandbag wall, there are still a lot of places I'd definitely like to visit. Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, and the North Eastern hill states of India come to mind. Just, uh, don't tell my mom. She just about ripped my balls off for going to Kashmir. Even telling her about my FEMALE friend who went to Afghanistan with a human rights organization last spring didn't lessen her wrath.

It's a lot more difficult and/or undesirable to travel in many-- too many-- places if you're female though. It's unfortunate but very, very true.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:32 AM   #24
Members

Send a message via MSN to petalbear Send a message via Skype™ to petalbear

Afghanistan is a definitely no go for me even though I love all the action. I have heard of too many journalists/photographers dying in these areas.

petalB
petalbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #25
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by space virgin View Post
Just, uh, don't tell my mom. She just about ripped my balls off for going to Kashmir.
Apple doesn't fall very far from the tree, does it...?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #26
Yoda

^

Well.. I didn't quite think of that, but you might be on to something.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:35 AM   #27
You want fries with that?

I have no desire to go to Sub-Saharan Africa. With the exception of South Africa's coast to see the Great White Sharks, there isnt much there that pulls on the old Joker's goatee. For that matter, Russia and the former Soviet states don't really pull me much either. Nothing that really interests me there. Sure, I'd like to see the Hermitage, but thats about the extent of it.

Here's another one: Brazil. Sure, its got beautiful women, nightlife with endless parties, topless beaches, Caprinhias, and beautiful women... scratch that. I wanna go to Brazil.

As for the US of A... I've been to quite possibly the two most boring states in the Union... Ohio and Delaware.

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
Great thread, Nicole.

I have to put myself in the category of no strong desire going anywhere that an actual shooting war is going on, or active insurgency, or place that terrs are targetting tourists (like Philippines a few years back, but it's quieted down, now). Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan (stay safe, Nicole!), Columbia, are some current No Go examples.

Other than that, I'd go about anywhere. Funny thing, though, I have no really strong desire to go to Australia right now. I KNOW I will want to go eventually, but I guess I haven't read that article / heard that other traveller's tale / or whateve to spark the desire. Oh, no offense either, Ev! Great to see you back and posting...we missed our resident Ozzie Party man. Now, if we can just scare up Lost Farm Boy, again, from wherever he's disapeared to...!

And Echeverry, you just watch what you say about Ohio...I realize you're probably saying that to pull the numerous Ohioans' collective chains...

worldwidemike
I'm an Ohioan, but it wouldn't be high on my list of places to visit. Yet, for some reason, I feel compelled to defend my home state. It isn't all that exciting, but there are worse places. Gary IN comes to mind (a perfect mix of bad smell and bad crime). SV mentioned the Bible Belt. It's right across the river from me, and I try to stay away whenever possible. War zones aren't my style either. Other than that, I think I'd go anywhere at least once.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM   #29

Send a message via MSN to Echeverry Send a message via Yahoo to Echeverry Send a message via Skype™ to Echeverry
Talking (don't tell Mike but I'm totally lying)

We all know Ohio is awesome!

Now on a more serious note, I would hit any place in the world just cuase it's a place I don't know, and to be honest I'm not going to turn my back away of a place just cause I hear some stuff there is beauty in everything xept in fat.ugly people! Stop world hunger! donate your local obese person to the closest charity conected to world hunger! Canivalism saving lives!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #30
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Gary, Indiana.

Ya know that's like 15-20 miles from the house I grew up in and in all those 17 years I think I ventured into Gary just twice. Good place for fried chicken and shrimp....
Old 01-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #31
TPunk Emeritus

Gary, Indiana...Isn't that where Michael Jackson is from??
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:17 AM   #32
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

yup.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:23 AM   #33
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ßeta View Post
Yet, for some reason, I feel compelled to defend my home state ... SV mentioned the Bible Belt.
I won't try to defend the Bible Belt, but even here there are exceptions to the rule. Austin, for instance, is like a liberal oasis in a state known for its fundamentalist religion and political conservatism. There is a large young, well-educated, population-- and it's known for great live music, arts, and the party scene.

You're much more like to see a "Keep Austin Weird" bumper sticker than a "In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned"
Old 01-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #34
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
"In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned"
I just saw one of those for the first time driving around the other day. I am not sure there is a scarier group of people on the planet than those people.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #35
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

I would probably go anywhere besides Antartica...too freaking cold, plus I don't even know if it is legal

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #36
TPunk Emeritus

It's interesting reading this thread and seeing people's perceptions of WHY they would not go somewhere.

Omi - for example, you said Taiwan and China would be too congested? You might be surprised. I didn't find Taipei any more congested than any other big city, Hong Kong and Shanghai the same. Asian cities have so much character and uniqueness (and in some cases complete, unbridled development and capitalism in full effect)to them...to keep them off your list is criminal!

Actually, the most congested I have ever felt in any city was in Camden Town/London when it was market day. I have never, ever to this day seen more human beings packed onto the sidewalk. Kind of freaked me out.

I guess for me the areas of least appeal would be Carribean islands (have been to a few already...they are all kind of the same...very lovely, but that's about it), Hawaii......South Korea. I have heard nothing but negatives about Korea. I have loved every Asian city I have traveled to so far, but S. Korea holds no appeal, simply based on preconceived notions from other people's comments.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost in texas View Post
I won't try to defend the Bible Belt, but even here there are exceptions to the rule. Austin, for instance, is like a liberal oasis in a state known for its fundamentalist religion and political conservatism. There is a large young, well-educated, population-- and it's known for great live music, arts, and the party scene.

You're much more like to see a "Keep Austin Weird" bumper sticker than a "In case of rapture, this vehicle will be unmanned"
Austin is awesome. I made a blanket statement. There are always genuine exceptions.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #38
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie View Post
I just saw one of those for the first time driving around the other day. I am not sure there is a scarier group of people on the planet than those people.
Christian Fundamentalists: Put odd bumperstickers on their car, try to replace science with scripture, and are revoltingly judgmental

Muslim Fundamentalists: Women driving? Death. Gay? Death. Prostitute? Death. Infidel? Convert to Islam...or death. Adultery...death. Drawings of Mohammed...death threats. Movie about Islam...death.

Today my sister said a bunch of Christian fundamentalists came to my alma mater to preach the message of Christ. I was not aware that Jesus pointed to random women and called the whores. One guy was none to happy about these insults to his girlfriend and started strangling the guy. Apparently he is fine because everyone pulled him off and the guy is back preaching today

--Joey
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:01 PM   #39
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist
Default places that don't interest me:

Amish towns' in Pennsylvania aren't high on my list.

The Persian Gulf, and Turkmenistan.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #40
always trippin'

I don't think there's anywhere I really don't want to go, period. Maybe places that I'd rather not go to at this particular point in time, but really, I'd give any place a shot...and many times I feel like "safe" places are really not much better than so-called unsafe places. I think countries that don't appeal so much to me appear that way because of my own ignorance.

Like China...before I made the choice to do a semester there, China was never high on my list of places to go, but I wanted to get away from college in Maine. It turned out to be an amazing experience and a beautiful country, and I discovered so much about China that I never knew was there. Once I actually knew I was going, the interest started building and a place that I never thought about before became really appealing.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote