Spain - Barcelona - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk
Default Spain - Barcelona

OK so im a lucky girl, ive been asked to DJ out in barcelona, all expenses paid! woohoo!free trip! he said i can stay as long as i want, and travel about to take advantage of the free flight, im looking at doing this in may/june, ill be able to spare about 100quid and 10 days or so...so advice please...whats there to do in barcelona and around? is there a cheap way of getting to the coast for a few days of sun?

any recommendations will be most welcome...havent been to spain in years will be great to get back.

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:23 AM   #2
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Umm... Barcelona is *on* the coast, and there'll be plenty of sun that time of year, no matter where you are in the city. So if you're gonna stay a while, there's a lot of beachtime to be had.

To make your £100 go further, make sure you use your DJ connections and have the promoter introduce you to other DJs and promoters. Get yourself on guest lists and score drink tickets to make your partying as free (or cheap) as possible.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Congrats on the job. Are your accommodations included in this? I thought Barcelona was VERY expensive, as far as hotels/hostels go...

Cool town, though. Watch out for the pickpockets and purse snatchers -- the city has its share.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #4
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
Cool town, though. Watch out for the pickpockets and purse snatchers -- the city has its share.
Seconded...especially along Las Ramblas, Estacio Sants and in internet cafes. The Easy Internet cafe along las ramblas even has signs posted saying "Caution: Thieves at work!". No sooner did I see that than I turned to my left to see two guys eyeing my bag and camera.

I stared at them for the next 10 minutes which aggravated them and they left (the whole time keeping my valuables in a deathgrip )

Anecdotedly, every person I met who got something lifted (or shared a hostel room with someone who had something lifted) had it happen in Barcelona, Rome or Prague. My dad and I joke that whenever we are in crowds we put our wallets in our front pockets and go into "Barcelona mode".

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation

Last edited by joe7f; 01-06-2008 at 09:42 AM.
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

if you get some free time, def. make a trip to Valencia, which I enjoyed more than Barcelona anyway, but that's just me.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

That's wicked, well done!! Been to Spain plenty, but never Barcelona and the surounding area I'm afraid, so you'll be getting no advice from me!!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

aahhh didnt realise it was on the coast, score! ill have places to stays with mates and so on so accomedation isnt a problem, especially since i wont have to travel to reach the coast.

drinks wise well i dont drink! so thats no problem. and im not an 'eating out' person either, a bag of fruit from the supermarket does me fine, so im pretty cheap in thatsense too. and of couse ill be gettin in places for free to party if i wish

so what is there to see and do? im looking at having a nice realxing one, as for the two months after barcelona ill be travelling europe playing massive festivals and partying all week and weekend, so will be nice to relax after finishing uni. then after that, back off to asia of course

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzingtalk View Post
so what is there to see and do?
La Sagrada Familia, the still unfinished cathedral designed by Antonia Gaudi. It's an amazing sight.

You can also go to several other Gaudi designed buildings, such as La Pedrera, an apartment he had constructed. I've never been into architecture for its own sake, but this is really cool stuff. Oh, and there's this really wild park he designed, too.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

That park is "Park Guell" which is some crazy stuff indeed!

Unfortunately I am only familiar with it via photos but that'll change

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

"Park Guell" reminded me of Alice in Wonderland somehow. Anyway, explore the park and then take the quick walk up the paths to get a great view of Barcelona and the coast.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

skip the gondola ride up to the castle cos its pretty average, casa battlo is also real neat by gaudi it costs a bit to get in but i though it was totally worth it. just wandering through the old town and the market off las ramblas is really nice (a good place for fresh fruit too)
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Minister of Offense

All the Gaudi stuff is mindblowingly cool - and yeah, Casa Battlo is definitely pricey, but a fascinating, closer look behind the madness of the architecture. Parc Guell is still tops on my list, though.

One good -and fun- way of seeing what's around and worth visiting is doing one of the Fat Tire Bike Tours. They convene a couple of times a day at the base of the Christopher Columbus statue and take you around to the sites, give you some history, as well as give you good advice on things that are worthwhile and things to watch out for.

If you're not big on eating out, check out the market (La Boqueria) just off the Ramblas, a few blocks from the ocean front. A massive selection of fresh fruit, veg, & pretty much anything else your heart desires - and often pretty cheap! It's one of my favorite open-air type markets in the world.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
Minister of Offense

Ooh, I guess Kiwi just mentioned it too