5 nights 6 days split between Amsterdam, then...Paris or Frankfurt? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Members

Default 5 nights 6 days split between Amsterdam, then...Paris or Frankfurt?

Greetings all,

First off, I'm a long time subscriber, first time poster!

Finally got enough friends to go on a euro trip, but I would love to hear suggestions from experienced travel pucks within this community.

Our main destination is amsterdam, we cant smoke up all the time, so in between our 5 night stay, we are thinking about catching a train to either Paris or Frankfurt. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

-Z
zeoneozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #2

well anything after amsterdam is a little of a downer ...

i have never been to frankfurt but i did the paris to amsterdam train ride before with a few hour layover in brussels. Brussels was way cool since it included the best things to come out of Belgium, besides martial arts great Jean-Claude Van Damme, waffles and beer.

If you rush around Paris you can get a lot of the tourist stuff in but your time seems really limited. Plus train time and all can add up.

i got some reccomendations for amsterdam though:
rent a bike, they are tons of fun when your being chased by the cops and you can get around a lot easier.
visit abraxas coffeeshop..really cool
also there is this one coffesshop this dutch dude i met in nyc told me about called picasso, he said it was the best one there(selectionwise).

so i didnt really answer your question but some of this should help.
HAVE FUN
bakwoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #3
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

i woud first look at how long it will take between the places, your time is short and you dont wanna choose one that is gonna take you ages to get to. id personally go to frankfurt but thats cos im a bit german and well biased towards it. plus its a real beautiful city, probably a lot more chilled than paris which is always ram packed full of people. i think amsterdam and frankfurt would compliment each other better plus youd pass through belgium which is also beautiful.

Euro trips for gigs and festivals as usual...
Then heading east to NZ & Aus for a few years! Via Abu Dhabi, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore.

Time to get out of the UK for a while!!
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Members

Its coming down to 2 nights in frankfurt, and 3 in amsterdam. The train ride is about 3 hours between each city. Heard a lot of good things about belgium, so we're definitly ganna stop over there for a day trip while in amsterdam. Thanks for all the tips!
zeoneozero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Everyone seems to add Frankfurt to their itinerary, but there ARE other options in Germany!

Koln (Cologne) is beautiful, very laid back but with enough to keep you busy if you feel the need to sightsee. Beautiful riverfront walk, friendly people, Rhein river cruises, plenty of great restaurants and bars, a chocolate museum, history (from Roman times on up) and of course the famous Dom. Plus, it's easy to get to Bonn, Trier or just out into the beautiful Rheinland countryside.

Belgium is wonderful as well - every time we go back, I love it more.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Members

I've been to Frankfurt and Paris before. Frankfurt was pretty boring and I didn't find there was much to see or do there. I ended up going to a movie when I was there. I loved Paris but if its too far to go to for a few days think of some other places that are closer. Tumblezweedz mentioned Cologne which is great. If you don't want to be in a city I recomend going to Bacharach or another town along the Rhine river. The scenery is beautiful and there are a lot of castles to visit. I stayed at a HI hostel in Bacharach that is a 12th century castle.
There are some great places in Belgium to see to and it would be a short train ride from Amsterdam.
Travel_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumblezweedz View Post
Everyone seems to add Frankfurt to their itinerary, but there ARE other options in Germany!

Koln (Cologne) is beautiful, very laid back but with enough to keep you busy if you feel the need to sightsee. Beautiful riverfront walk, friendly people, Rhein river cruises,[...] and of course the famous Dom.
Koln seems like it could be a nice city for two days. I think it is only a two hour train ride to Heidelberg which is not on the Rhein, but close.

Personally, if you want to see the Germany you think of when you think of Germany you have to go to Bavaria (Munich, Nuremburg etc) or the Black Forest. The main disadvantage of Munich that I see is that to get back to A'dam you have to change trains so you can't pull a (direct) night train back (you would have to do a night train to Paris probably and then a train to Amsterdam)

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation

Last edited by joe7f; 06-23-2007 at 11:30 PM.
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote