Hello. I'm new to the forum. This coming year I plan to travel abroad for the first time, with a friend, to do some backpacking in England & maybe a bit in Scotland. I have some questions that perhaps some of you could help me with.
1) What is the best time to travel in Britain for discount rates on flights and lodging, reasonable weather, most attractions open, etc. I plan on going sometime between March and May, but am very open to dates.
2) What is the weather like there during the months of March, April, and May?
3) Is it possible to camp in many places? I plan on using some hostels, but also tenting whenever possible.
4) What is the most affordable form of transportation, when it is needed.
5) Do you know of any good free or must-see attractions that I should add to my list? What should I avoid entirely?
I know these are mostly financial considerations, but I'm on a constrained budget. Traveling to the lands of my ancestors has always been a pipe-dream that only recently seemed to become possible.
Thank you in advance for any help you can give!