I'm back! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Western

Europe: Western Cafés, castles, architecture, art, wine, the Euro, gastronomy, let´s meet up, and pub crawls.! Oh oui, backpackers paradise...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2004, 03:24 AM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to chacmool16

Hey Everyone! I'm back from my 2 1/2 month trip to Europe, visiting so many places that I can't even remember them all. I had a bit of a rough start adjusting, but once I got into it I loved it, met so many cool people and saw a ton of cool things. I started to run out of money and began to grow wiery of all the sight seeing so it was time to go home Now I have to face reality: get another job, a place to live, face everything I left behind. Don't get me wrong, I liked what I had before I left, but I just feel totally strange going back, sort of like reverse culture shock- I feel different, but somehow everything else here seems to remain the same... I don't know, does anyone get what I'm saying? Any tips or advice to get through it? Caio and Happy New Year!!!! -Lauren
hehehe I like this one
chacmool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 08:52 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Ah yes the infamous AWS,
( Adventure Withdrawl Syndrome) ( yes i just made that up! )

My dear friend

You stare blackly into space

Can not stop thinking about where you where or Where you wanna go next

Everything in the "real" world seems very trivial
Even your friends see a change

Restlessness, and the inability to sit still

Depression about sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day

The need to look at your pictures all the time

Wondering abut your town or city looking for something you have not seen before, but not finding it

Always checking to see what flight deals are in the paper or your local travel agent, and checking to see if you can swing a quick fix trip

Not believing that such a short time ago you were thuosands of miles away from home, and having the time of your life, and now your right back where you started from.

My dear friend chacmool16, I know EXACTLY what your going through, because i go through it every time i get back from a trip. I love where i come from don't get me wrong, but there is so much a wanna see.

A cure for this problem? Time. Be patient, stay calm and know that the you have no option but to start the journey over again, from the very first dollar. Know that there is an end to the drama, and that end is you stepping back onto a plane for another adventure. The difference is now, that your more experienced, more intelligent, not so neive about the ways of the world.

I know what your going through, you are not alone!

( If anyone would like to join my 12 step program, please call 1-800-CANADIANDUDEHELPSDEPRESSEDTRAVLAS)

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah...I felt exaclty like that when I came back...Just hearing people speak a language I understood felt weird and I felt like I was eavesdropping all conversations around me!!! But yes, after a while I was able to feel at home again...And these boards helped a lot, because I felt I was not the only one that loves to travel.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Hola Chacmool16! I just came back from my trip a few weeks ago and felt exactly the same way. So you're not alone! It was especially culture shocking to be amidst the Christmas shopping frenzy, it seemed very materialistic to me... Anyhow, after the first 2 weeks or so, you start to feel more at comfort with your new reality. I mean... you're never quite the same, but you DO adjust, accept and welcome you present environment with new eyes. I think that people like us, travellers/wanderers/seekers at heart, will always be that way no matter where we are. So why judge our current setting, just b/c it's familiar to us? Keep the fresh outlook that you had when you were travelling, and home will start to feel fresh as well. If you really think about it, people are the same, at the core, no matter where they live. The fact that we had an incredible experience travelling, certainly is partly attributable to the faraway lands, but it's really b/c of what arose from inside of us at that time, at that place. But that magic can happen anywhere, actually. We just need to know to tap into it... In the mean time, connect with people who love travelling as much as you do, and continue coming back to this site!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Carisia, that was beautiful!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 04:03 PM   #6
Admin

Hey chacmool,

Yeah, I've feel that way each time I come back from my trip The first time seemed to be the worst. I came right back to Los Angeles, and you know how pretentious those actor types can be

AWS- I love it, bro! Thats exactly how the break down is!

Carisia, damn straight, that was very eloquent

Moc, glad these boards helped you out, but gladder you came on board and became a permanent fixture !
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

TP, you sure know how to talk to women...
Old 01-05-2004, 04:10 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Cool

~ reverse culture shock/reality check ~ Noooo!!!!!
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:48 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

After an experience like that.....Things will never be the same again...
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:07 PM   #10
Weasel Jones

Quote:
Always checking to see what flight deals are in the paper or your local travel agent, and checking to see if you can swing a quick fix trip
oh, i know this one all too well!
Old 01-11-2004, 12:33 PM   #11
Members

Send a message via AIM to chacmool16

hey guys! thanks for the tips. very useful and things have agotten back to normal pretty quickly. (except my emotions)
chacmool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:33 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to Bgirl

Damn I was reading what CD wrote and that is exactly what I feel...I can't say if this is good or not. Every time I remember the good moments I had I feel pain. It seems something is really hurting inside me. Than I look around trying to see the wonderful place I live... Trying to overcome this feeling. Sometimes It works, sometimes not. Then I start to think about the good moments again... And I feel strong. I feel I want to live everything again... And I start to work on my next adventure... The worst thing is:I always have to wait... wait for the next vacation, wait to keep enough money, wait, wait and wait. It drives me crazy! But the dream about the next trip helps me to forget the routine. Then I go out with my friends, go to parties, drink good booze, go to the beach, work, work and work...But nobody understands me... Just those ones who loves to travel too. And that's the reason I love this site. I could write a book just describing these feelings...But I have to be honest... This is an expensive price I have to pay for loving to travel. But when I'm traveling... I forget all these bad feelings and I enjoy every second!!! And then I know everything is worth!!!!
Old 04-13-2004, 04:51 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

For someone who says they don't understand our English all the time, Bgirl, you just said it better than most could.

Well spoken!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 07:04 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Ho Do you think so? Thank you very much . It's easier when you try to describe something you have in your heart and mind.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:46 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

I second that wwm!
Carisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:54 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

Old 04-13-2004, 01:55 PM   #17
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Quote:
Originally posted by Bgirl@Apr 13 2004, 01:33 AM
Damn I was reading what CD wrote and that is exactly what I feel...I can't say if this is good or not.* Every time I remember the good moments I had I feel pain. It seems something is really hurting inside me. Than I look around trying to see the wonderful place I live... Trying to overcome this feeling. Sometimes It works, sometimes not. Then I start to think about the good moments again... And I feel strong. I feel I want to live everything again... And I start to work on my next adventure... The worst thing is:I always have to wait... wait for the next vacation, wait to keep enough money, wait, wait and wait. It drives me crazy! But the dream about the next trip helps me to forget the routine. Then I go out with my friends, go to parties, drink good booze, go to the beach, work, work and work...But nobody understands me... Just those ones who loves to travel too. And that's the reason I love this site. I could write a book just describing these feelings...But I have to be honest... This is an expensive price I have to pay for loving to travel. But when I'm traveling... I forget all these bad feelings and I enjoy every second!!! And then I know everything is worth!!!!
that is extreamly true, and extremly powerful my friend, i feel that this is an emotion, which many of us travelers, and yet to be travelers feel, it's something that conects us, and as of yet it is an unnamed emmotion, which is its greatest tribute and symbolises it perfectly, i and many overs when describing travel have tried to name it, but no nameable emotion can cover the whole expanse, a bit like the story of the blind men and the elephant, every one had grasped an aspect of the elephant couldn't get it right, but the difference between the story and this samila, is that you have just sumed it up perfectly.

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #18
TPunk Recognized

Roz... Thank you very much...your words melted my heart. You're all so nice to me... Thank you!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:53 PM   #19
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

its just how it is

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:44 AM   #20
Weasel Jones

it's a good point you make, bgirl - wanderlust really is a torturous hobby.... especially when you think of how much time we actually spend travelling as opposed to dreaming of it. too bad we all weren't born into money...