Prague Is A No Go! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Eastern
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Europe: Eastern From Russia to Croatia, the Danube, Iron Curtain era vestiges, Pilzner beer, Czech it out!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-07-2003, 06:33 AM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

Well I was having coffee with my cousin the other day, and he has lived in Europe on and off for some time. I told him how excited I was to be going away at the end on the month and told him where I was going and where I wanted to go. I guess I did not do my research as well as I thought, I was informed on this day that CANADIANS NEED A VISA TO ENTER THE CZECH REBUBLIC, AMERICANS DO NOT. ( A BIG FYI)

Prague was a side trip I was going to make every effort to see, but it was not a for sure thing. I was going to go to the airport and just check for a cheap flight, if there was one, i would go, if not i would not go. BUt because of the " i am not sure thing" I am not going to get the visa, hense no Prague.

I will get over this little speed bump, I just thought it would be a nice ( and cheap) place to see. Oh well, lets see what other countries will have me :D

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
Admin

thats sucks

Well, a "bend in the road does not mean the end of the road"

What´s on the "plan-b" list?
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 08:52 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

TP my brotha, I am going to go to he Airport and what ever flight is the cheapest, i will take....we will see where that gets me....I lov surprizes!!! :D

Old 08-07-2003, 09:28 AM   #4
Admin

Quote:
I am going to go to he Airport and what ever flight is the cheapest, i will take....
Man, does it really get any better than that?
I think everyone on this entire planet has dreamed about being in that position.
I´ll be there in spirit, bro B) Live it up!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

As long as I am in Belfast on Sept 8, i really don't care where I end up! B)

Old 08-12-2003, 12:28 PM   #6
TUI
Members

Send a message via MSN to TUI Send a message via Yahoo to TUI

Finally a cool benefit for being american!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:50 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill

Don't you find immigration and visa requirements around the world another reason to hate governments, in general,? Before the formation of such highly organized and bureaucratic governments the masses were free ( although usually too poor with no easy means to travel ) travel or migrate to nearby geographical areas without restrictions. I'm really SUPRISED that the Czech Republic requires visas for Canadians and NOT Yanks; are there any other countries like that which you are aware of "Canadian Dude"?

I remember reading in Taipan by James Clavell about when the local British appointed government officials first issued levies on the traders; they rebelled and almost challenged such regulations with threat of violence. Although it was only about 1 or 2 % in the 1850s they KNEW it would continue to go UP & UP & UP until look at modern day life in the "rich" countries and how many different types of taxes and restrictions exist to help keep the general populus contained as "salary slaves" ( instead of serfs as before in Europe ).

Governments! RULES RULES RULES Who needs them? I'd rather take my chances living with out them; living in the Philippines is the nearest to day to day anarchy in practice then any country I have ever traveled to and been aware of. B)
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 02:48 AM   #8
Members

hey all,

don't worry dude you are not going to miss much, i am in prague now and it is not all they say it is. prague had planned to be my center for the next two months while in europe, but today i am off to krakow poland instead. prague is full of drunk obnoxious englishmen. if you are into drinking overpriced beer (atleast in the bars) being accousted by prostitutes and hanging out in a city where no one ever smiles, then come to prague, but for me i see this city as a gothic nightmare, where everyone speaks english.

for those who are comeing i would recommend the Hostel Dejvicka, fifteen u.s. for a private room, kitchen down the hall and a veranda on every floor.

but, for the most part prague is becoming everything that is wrong with capitalism.

please don't believe a word i say, find out for yourself, there is a good club scene here and all, the architecture is beautiful, public transport a-ok. but the difference between the center of town and the metro stops three or four away from the center is amazing, the real czechs do not go near the center of prague because they know everyone there is getting screwwed.
kerouacscabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

kerouacscabbie, its funny, I feel the same way about Amsterdam...

Old 12-02-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via ICQ to cliffo Send a message via Yahoo to cliffo

CD, i'm about to send away to the Czech Consulate in Sydney for the visa application...its a pain having to get a visa but i really want to go check out Prague.

FYI - Visa for Czech Republic is valid for 6 months from date of issue, for a period of 90 days from first date of entry. You are also required to register with police within 3 days of entering the country.
cliffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:43 AM   #11
Members

Red face

cd----------canadians have it all............u dont realize--------but let me tell u something..........it will be the last thing americans recieve, bush has seen 2 that.........i like bush, but he fucked us!!!!!!!!!
im no expert but im sure that america has used it all up---------i owe u------------i hate france 4 fucking us.............but i can understand there stance------i guess i favor french cooking-------so i can never forget what they have done 4 mankind ----------but if germany won they would have shit......so i have 2 shake my head at them even if we are in the wrong!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 02:54 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Aussies need a visa for Czech Republic too???? What do they have against the Commonwealth??? We should revolt!!!! :greenguy: :greenguy:

Old 12-03-2003, 06:28 AM   #13
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by kerouacscabbie@Aug 23 2003, 09:48 AM
hey all,

don't worry dude you are not going to miss much, i am in prague now and it is not all they say it is. prague had planned to be my center for the next two months while in europe, but today i am off to krakow poland instead. prague is full of drunk obnoxious englishmen. if you are into drinking overpriced beer (atleast in the bars) being accousted by prostitutes and hanging out in a city where no one ever smiles, then come to prague, but for me i see this city as a gothic nightmare, where everyone speaks english.

for those who are comeing i would recommend the Hostel Dejvicka, fifteen u.s. for a private room, kitchen down the hall and a veranda on every floor.

but, for the most part prague is becoming everything that is wrong with capitalism.

please don't believe a word i say, find out for yourself, there is a good club scene here and all, the architecture is beautiful, public transport a-ok. but the difference between the center of town and the metro stops three or four away from the center is amazing, the real czechs do not go near the center of prague* because they know everyone there is getting screwwed.
Anyone visiting Prague might want to take a few days out of the way and go to a not so HECTIC Czech city....

Olumuc sounds like a really cool place with the nightlife of Prague, the innocense and serenity of a small town, and prices that would make Prague look WAY TOO EXPENSIVE....

Check out this Hostel Poets Corner
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 01:43 PM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

I just did a small research and found out that canadians and united-staters (yeah, United-Staters...I am as American as you are... ) don't need a visa for a limited stay...Anyways...
Old 12-03-2003, 03:25 PM   #15
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Hey thats fine, just next time you are over seas tell them you are an american instead of a canadien eh. :D We don't need any double standards here.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 03:26 PM   #16
TPunk Emeritus

heheheheh! No, I'm too proud to be canadian....
Old 12-04-2003, 12:30 AM   #17
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via ICQ to cliffo Send a message via Yahoo to cliffo

I'll make a note of the fact that we shouldn't need a visa when i send of my application papers CD...oh hang on, i do want to see the place so better not.hehe...

Seriously though, not sure why Canadians and Aussie need one. Could just be a tit for tat thing - we probably make them get one for our countries so they do the same.
cliffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:00 AM   #18
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Now mocy, you can't call yourself an American in one breath and a Canadien in another. That could confuse people. See, we are the United States of American. So I think we have more claim to american. :D You surely are not the Canadien Provinces of America right? hehe.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote