Set on Eastern Europe - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Europe: Eastern

Europe: Eastern From Russia to Croatia, the Danube, Iron Curtain era vestiges, Pilzner beer, Czech it out!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

i think im priddy decided on eastern europe + germany.. was planin on goin through southeast asia again for a while had the books and all. but then ajb3000 had to go and post some pictures of where he went in eastern europe and got me thinkin aboot eastern europe so i looked into it did some research etc etc and decided that id prefer to go there. at the end of feb

i have budgeted to have about 4500 euros spending money saved which would be enough for around 5 months, 30 euro a day i think and enough to take me through all of eastern europe and hopefully some time in germany to start and finish with...

my rough itenary is nearly all of eastern europe and germany so like this:

(*signifies take or give)

start Munich for couple of days:
then to

Czech Rebublic- (9days*)
Slovakia - (8 days*)
Hungary - (9days*)
Slovenia - (4 days*)
Croatia - (9 days*)
Bosnia & Hercegovinia-(9 days*)
Albania- ( 4 days*)
Macedonia- (4 days)
Bulgaria-(10 days)
Serbia & Montenegro- (11 days*)
Romania- (13 days*)
Moldova- (6 days*)
Ukraine-(11 days*)
Belarus - (6 days*)
Estonia (9 days*)
Latvia(9 days*)
Lithuania(9 days*)
Poland(8 days*)

possibly throw in moscow and st petersbourg but i want to do all of russia for another trip one day so prolly unlikely

then as much of germany i can with the of depending on the amount of money left over and hopefully extend my trip by a few days by changing the flight home date

i think thats adequate amount of time for each country?...

only got the one question so far is there much to see and do outside the capital of slovenia? apart from skiing/snowboarding i dont plan on being extreme darren (funny guy from some show) and puttin my back out again

any suggestions/comments?

REEEEEEEESPECT

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to ChrisP7683 Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisP7683

I am so jealous. I wish that I would have had time to see the rest of the balkans on my trip. Just be sure that you either spend all of your money in each of the balkan countries or exchange it before you leave. Outside of Ljubljana, the most popular tourist spot in Sloivenia is Lake Bled. When you are in Sarajevo, Hostel Ljubicica offers tours around Sarajevo in English starting at 10:00 AM I think. The hostel is easy to find being that it is directly in front of the Turkish Quarter. Since you are spending so much time in Bosnia, I would highly recommend that you took a day trip or an over nighter to Mostar. It is a few hours to the south. Google it. It is a facinating city and if you are looking to get away from the tourist croud, you won't see many there. Or you could just stop there on your way to Albania. Ok, enough rambliing. If you have any questions about any aspect of this trip, I would be more than happy to help you.

Chris
So Far: Canada, Mexico, Peru, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Ireland, England, Spain, Turkey, Krgystan, Qatar, Afghanistan, Bahrain, UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Iraq, Thailand, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Hungary

Next: Oman, Bolivia, Columbia

ChrisP7683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:34 PM   #3
Members

cool thanx man.. yeah i planed on goin to mostar for a couple of days!!

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 12-02-2005, 02:08 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to weirdbeard

Hell yeah man! Sounds like a whole lot of fun. 5 Months. Damn! Keep us posted on the progress of your trip, you crazy Aussie. I know Bri ( Beergal) has a lot of info on Eastern Eu as well as some other members. Good luck!
weirdbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

I wish I could travel that extensively in the East of Europe with the relative cheapness, beautiful women and great beers! Maybe it is wise to travel Russia at another time because there is quite a bit to be organised with VISA's and I do believe you have to have firm accomodation and travel route booked before they let you in. I think a 30 euro a day budget should be ample!

ev
Old 12-02-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Both myself and Atchoum have travelled extensively in Eastern Europe and Im sure if you have any questions we would be happy to help!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Members

holy shit dude 4500 euros!

man I have been living off of $500 for the past month in poland, and I still have lots of money left. I even been shopping a diesel which is hella expensive.

in eastern europe you should be cool.

western you might have to watch your finaces alittle more.

I have been eating 26 zl worth of meals a day which is alot of food and only equals like $8 amercain or 4 euros. or some shit like that, dont make me do math pls.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

yeah poland is one of the most amazingly cheap countries ever..but no where near as cheap as vilnius, which i thouroghly recommend by the way!

Old 12-08-2005, 06:22 PM   #9
Members

yeah but i thought it be better to over budget... hopefully extend my trip for longer...

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
Members

slovenia - definitely hit up lake bled. buses run hourly (weekdays) on the hour from the bus station in ljubljana (outside the train station).

if u are going to bled, check out the hostels at www.hostelworld.com and stay at the jakelj backpackers house.. 15 euros / night and i got free breakfast - not just a crappy muffin like in some hostels, but a full on cereal, toast, bacon, eggs, fruit, juice, tea kinda dealy. also got the lady to cook me a 3 course meal at the night for about 5 euros. slovenia is awesome!
Mandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:47 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Always better to over budget - then at the end, you can live like a king if you still have some cashish. Anyhow, sounds amazing. I'd love to spend more time in eastern Europe!

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:49 PM   #12
Members

can you use the euro to pay for stuff like accomodation and everythin else or do you have to pay in the local currency. Back in Nam i payed for the more expensive things with US dollers and less expensive things with VND is it the same in eastern europe but with the euro?

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 12-19-2005, 01:52 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

some hostels let you pay in euros but it can work out a little more expensive this way lets say a couple of euro more just for the inconvenience

Old 12-19-2005, 08:32 AM   #14
french touch

Daniel, this is something ! 5 months all around Eastern Europe... And unless most travellers, you dare going deep into what used to be the Iron Curtain. You will experience the «real» Eastern Europe spirit, with its diversity : slavic, latin, orthodox, muslim, etc. Great ! I'm so envious you have no idea.

Your itinerary seems fair and the amount of time planned for each country as well. I would only add to think of visiting one or two countries thoroughly, for 4 weeks or more. You'll probably feel at home in one of the countries, then don't hesitate to not stick to your itinerary, and stay !

As for the Euros, it is easy to get cash at the ATDs anywhere in «good size cities», even if they aren't touristic.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:15 AM   #15
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

show us pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:49 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

Nice to see I've changed your plans .

When I went, I took a couple of hundred euros for "emergencys", you can exchange them practically everywhere and most hostels will take them, plus in Bosnia you can use them in most shops as their exchange rate is tied to the euro at 2 marka to 1 euro. Otherwise as had been said, cash machines are available in all those countries, if a little sparse at times. Also don't expect to be able to use your card in shops, or even a lot of train stations for that matter.

Keep us updated while you're travelling, and if you're still around in June/July, I hope to be back in E.Europe by then so maybe we could meet up somewhere for a beer or ten.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #17
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by beergal1+Dec 19 2005, 06:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(beergal1 @ Dec 19 2005, 06:52 PM)</div>
Quote:
some hostels let you pay in euros but it can work out a little more expensive this way lets say a couple of euro more just for the inconvenience
[snapback]93833[/snapback]
[/b]

Quote:
Originally posted by atchoum@Dec 20 2005, 01:32 AM
Daniel, this is something ! 5 months all around Eastern Europe... And unless most travellers, you dare going deep into what used to be the Iron Curtain. You will experience the «real» Eastern Europe spirit, with its diversity : slavic, latin, orthodox, muslim, etc. Great ! I'm so envious you have no idea.

Your itinerary seems fair and the amount of time planned for each country as well. I would only add to think of visiting one or two countries thoroughly, for 4 weeks or more. You'll probably feel at home in one of the countries, then don't hesitate to not stick to your itinerary, and stay !

As for the Euros, it is easy to get cash at the ATDs anywhere in «good size cities», even if they aren't touristic.
[snapback]93863[/snapback]
yeah 5 months is the minimum i plan on travelin, hopefully i can extend it out for longer and spend alot more time in 1 or 2 of the countries..

Quote:
Originally posted by nemesis331@Dec 20 2005, 03:15 AM
show us pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[snapback]93884[/snapback]
got to get around to getting myself a new camera 1st

<!--QuoteBegin-ajb3000
@Dec 20 2005, 05:49 AM
Nice to see I've changed your plans* .

When I went, I took a couple of hundred euros for "emergencys", you can exchange them practically everywhere and most hostels will take them, plus in Bosnia you can use them in most shops as their exchange rate is tied to the euro at 2 marka to 1 euro.* Otherwise as had been said, cash machines are available in all those countries, if a little sparse at times.* Also don't expect to be able to use your card in shops, or even a lot of train stations for that matter.

Keep us updated while you're travelling, and if you're still around in June/July, I hope to be back in E.Europe by then so maybe we could meet up somewhere for a beer or ten.
[snapback]93897[/snapback]
will do man

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 12-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #18
Members

add Istanbul to the list, possibly birmingham (free accom)..... thinkin of leavin belarus and ukraine out coz i hate there visa's

MY NAME IS
Daniel
Old 01-07-2006, 08:57 AM   #19
TPunk Recognized

Make sure you've got up to date information on visa requirements in Ukraine. As of about 6 months ago, I (as a british citizen) no longer need a visa AT ALL to visit Ukraine for up to 90 days!

How much research have you done on accomodation and which places you want to visit in countries etc? I've settled on a rough itinary for my trip now, I plan to go for 6-7 weeks, from mid June, visiting:

Greece (briefly - cheap flights from the uk)
Albania
Montenegro
Kosovo
Macedonia
Turkey (Istanbul)
Moldova
Ukraine
Poland

Maybe have a short stop off in Bulgaria and/or Romania as well, but as I visited them last year it'd only be for 1 or 2 nights.

I'm having trouble finding cheap accomodation in a lot of these places though, and with them being way off the beaten track, I'm dubious about there being pensions available on arrival.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Looks like an awesome plan Dan...if fate is good to me, perhaps we can meet up for a few beers along the way if I pull off my long trip.