See and work the world?!?!?! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Companions Wanted
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Companions Wanted Going my way? Birds of a feather, flock together.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to SunnieLeigh23 Send a message via MSN to SunnieLeigh23 Send a message via Yahoo to SunnieLeigh23

Hey! I know i might sound crazy but i am looking to go work in New Zealand then Australia the who knows. I was wondering if anyone has just moved around and worked? this way you see the places you want and can make some money to move on. Anyone looking to do something like that or even just work in New Zealand? I can't wait it will be so fun but i wish someone else would want to go so i have someone to do some major adventure travels with.
[FONT=Optima']"If you reject the food, ignore the the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might be better stay home. You are like a pebble thrown into water; you become wet on the surface but you are never part of the water." James A. Michener[/font]
SunnieLeigh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
I'll rock your socks off

I find I have the best travel adventures alone. Seriously, I've been around with my best friend and by myself, and when you have to completely rely on your own instincts and not take anyone else into account, its just that much cooler. And you meet more people that way. Perhaps I am just a selfish . heheh.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
Members

Send a message via AIM to SunnieLeigh23 Send a message via MSN to SunnieLeigh23 Send a message via Yahoo to SunnieLeigh23

I love travelling alone dont get me wrong, but i think for such a long about of time and not just travelling but working will be nice to have someone else there to share an flat with and to go hiking with when u dont know anyone else that weekend. Other then that i am all about goin alone and probly will. I hope i can continue working for Hostelling International well i travel the world! then i wont worry about flats!
[FONT=Optima']"If you reject the food, ignore the the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might be better stay home. You are like a pebble thrown into water; you become wet on the surface but you are never part of the water." James A. Michener[/font]
SunnieLeigh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:07 PM   #4
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

First off, sorry about hijacking the thread..

But where do you guys all find these jobs working for hostels, etc.? Do I just live in the most defunct non traveling part of the world? I think the closest thing to a hostel in Detroit is the homeless shelter. I know its not the top tourist location, but what gives? Do I have to move somewhere cooler to find a hostel job or some other travel associated job? What is it like? Any good benefits to it?

Thanks

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:08 PM   #5
I'll rock your socks off

Quote:
I think the closest thing to a hostel in Detroit is the homeless shelter.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:11 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Ive been to some hostels that could go either way.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:08 AM   #7
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by SunnieLeigh23@Oct 14 2004, 04:54 PM
Hey! I know i might sound crazy but i am looking to go work in New Zealand then Australia the who knows. I was wondering if anyone has just moved around and worked? this way you see the places you want and can make some money to move on. Anyone looking to do something like that or even just work in New Zealand? I can't wait it will be so fun but i wish someone else would want to go so i have someone to do some major adventure travels with.
Whether you go it alone or with someone else the best way to work in a foriegn country in my experience is to work for a US based agency or company (I am assuming you are a US citezen). I work in non-proft which makes that even easier. I work and lived in Malta, and from there a whole bunch of European countries and now in Belize, but I found the work through American non-profit organizations and then went over to these places. Hope this helps!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 AM   #8
Members

Hiya,
I've got my visa for the UK, and have been living in Scotland for 6 months, I chose this instead of London, sooooo nice here! Anyways, working and travelling is a great option if you've not got loads stashed away! If you can, get a UK visa at some point, you have access to some gorgeous places, and making Pounds is great, becasue whatever you save, will convert really well! I'm going to get an Aussie/NZ visa after this one is done. Plus the benefits of being in a place for a while, is that you really get to know the area and it becomes a second home. You get to meet some really great people too and have some good long friendships as well.
trailer_park_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
french touch

Some books give detailed info on how to work and travel. "Work Your Way Around The World" is the bible, but there are plenty of others found in any travel bookstore.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Cool

First: Love the thread.

I am going to do exactly this in 2008 (see ticker below). I am also going to get a 1 year NZ working holiday visa that is available to us Americans and some other countries as well (dont know them off hand). This hopefully will cover my costs for Asia and then maybe to Australia to work (if I can) or Europe. Then after that stretch of work I will go to S. America with the money I saved from it and I will backtrack/repeat as needed, wanted, or possible. I also plan to have a $10k USD coushin under my belt as well before I depart. 2008 will allow me to save that much + pay all debts owed.

I will be traveling with at least one maybe 2 other people. Our plan is to break off sometimes and meet back up at certain points. That way you get the best of both worlds. The internet and e-mail are an amazing thing and quite useful!

Hopefully I will see you out there!

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

Hey.

I'm also applying for a working holiday visa for Australia and New Zealand combined. I'm going alone. I plan to leave at the end of may 2006, right after my birthday. The visa's for one year. Then off to Europe for as long as I feel like. It depends on how much i feel like working. Maybe I'll bump into you along the way.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:46 AM   #12
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Exclamation

TERI:

There is a combined visa? That would be awesome! Can you provide a link with details?

Thanks,

Foo

"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
Old 08-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #13
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I can't find the website right now, but yeah, there's one where you can combine your application for the Australian and New Zealand WHVs...

New Zealand gives you up to a year, while Australia gives you up to 4 months, plus 3 month tourist visa... So technically you can get a grand total of 19 months in Australia and New Zealand. Not sure how the NZ one works, but for the 4 months of working in Australia, it can only be with one employer, so it's good to look for a chain that owns places all over (i.e. the Koala Backpackers hostel chain) so that you can work in multiple cities...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Exclamation

Thanks for the info Omi!

Thats my new plan. I will spend my 19 months there and make all the $$ I can. I will get to spend plenty of time there and see lots of cool stuff. I am excited already and it makes busting my ass at work 50 hours a week worth it. I am also doing some side work so I can hopefully speed up the process a little.

If anyone has a link with more info on the Oz/NZ visa combo please do post!

Foo

Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #15
Members

Wink

I would also be interested in any info/links for working visa's for NZ......I'm planning on going this October. I have to say to all.....every time I log on I find new info........

Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Teagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:18 AM   #16
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Some info on Australia visas:
http://www.freespirit.com.au/

One of the NZ programs:
http://www.iep.co.nz/page/410/WorkNewZealand.html

Jobs in Australia & New Zealand:
http://www.traveljobs.com.au/traveljobs.htm

Those are just a few. You can check out links from BUNAC.org to see what other info is available.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote