Phoenix to Bogota - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Cen.Am/Cuba/Carib

Cen.Am/Cuba/Carib Included are Bahamas, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Jamaica, Honduras, plantains, and club med!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #1
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

OK kids,

I've kinda been in a funk since my mexico trip last spring and been moping and putzing around with my bills and whatnot but i finally kicked my arse into high gear and have started to think about the next trip. I was thinking either southeast asia, new zealand or central america. Since I want to be fluent in spanish first before knocking out another language and don't really feel like dropping my hard earned cash on a plane ticket I decided a jaunt south would be the best bet.

The tenative plan is to have several grand ready to go by end of january-ish and hop a bus to the border or further south. I'm going to buy LP's Central America on a shoe string and start my search for a language school. The plan is book a month or so at a language school, find a surf instructor somewhere towards the beginning and surf, hitchhike, bus, hike my way south. Hopefully at the language school after studying spanish I can teach english for awhile to replenish the cash flow or just to have a place to stay. The plan is to get as far south as I can before the money runs out or to find ways to supplement along the way. I would like to make it all the way to bogota before flying home and be able to say I survived the Darien Gap.

Soooo that's the plan... Oh and while I am in Nicaruaga I want to try and figure out how hard it would be start a tour guide company there. Since costa rica's ecotourism is flooded and nicaruaga is virtually untouched, i am thinking it might be a profitable business venture.

So that's the plan kids. Any comments, questions or snide remarks?
Old 05-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #2
You want fries with that?

Snide remarks? Always. :D

That counts as one.

As for the language schools, my uncle did the one in Cuernavaca, Mexico a few years ago and relocated permanently. Its supposedly one of the best in the world. But beyond that, I'd suggest a few conversational courses at the local CC to start.

I'm not so sure about the expat-American friendliness of Nicaragua, though. Costa Rica is very advanced compared to the rest of Central America, so dollars and their carriers are far better accepted. I've heard that Gringos from up Norte aren't so welcome there. YMMV. (This is on account from some Canadians that witnessed some 'Mericans getting the run-around at the border.)

Good luck with this one, Jake. I'm considering that my next Joker Misadventure ™ could be another Central American jaunt, as well...

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

you're welcome to come along for a bit or a portion my friend!
Old 05-09-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
I'll rock your socks off

I'm also contemplating a nice long overland south american adventure, but not for a few years probably...

hey check out cartegena in columbia. I read a really neat article on it last night on escape artist. The author rated it as one of the best cities in the world to disappear to and just generally made it sound incredible. Cheap, gorgeous, old buildings, a little lingering essence of buccaneer...

More power to ya, man. Sweet.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Sound awesome, man.

And please, do NOT pick me up a necktie in Colombia...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJake@May 9 2006, 10:23 PM
you're welcome to come along for a bit or a portion my friend!
[snapback]119482[/snapback]
Be careful what you say, Jake. I've been known to take goofy last minute adventures!!

But as I told you- no Flecha Roja for me

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Old 05-10-2006, 05:49 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@May 10 2006, 03:34 AM
I'm also contemplating a nice long overland south american adventure, but not for a few years probably...

hey check out cartegena in columbia.
[snapback]119486[/snapback]

Careful there... Columbia is a whole different thing than Colombia!!

(Could have been a typing mistake... I'm just saying it cause I've seen that a lot on the boards lately)
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Joker@May 10 2006, 12:20 AM
As for the language schools, my uncle did the one in Cuernavaca, Mexico a few years ago and relocated permanently. Its supposedly one of the best in the world. But beyond that, I'd suggest a few conversational courses at the local CC to start.
[snapback]119481[/snapback]
Can you track down the info regarding his school??

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Oops...meant to add:

Sounds awesome Jake.

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 05-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabrosa@May 10 2006, 06:00 AM
Can you track down the info regarding his school??
[snapback]119570[/snapback]
Pretty sure its this place, but I shot him a line to find out... will pass on the info as I get it.

http://www.mexonline.com/cls.htm

Old 05-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by Joker@May 11 2006, 12:30 AM
Pretty sure its this place, but I shot him a line to find out... will pass on the info as I get it.

http://www.mexonline.com/cls.htm
[snapback]119859[/snapback]
Thanks Steve. Any word??

I'm in serious gather mode on these language schools. I really think I want to spend a couple of weeks studying in Mexico...originally I was thinking of studying once I get to Guate...but, I'll prolly want to improve my language skeeeeeels so I can freakin' get myself to Guatemala.

Old 05-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
To Smart For Mensa

That school is WAY americanized. The prices are like double most of the other schools i've checked out and they conviently forgot to mention how much living with a host family costs, while lying about the price of hotels in the area. 100-200 US?!? right.....
Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
TPunk Recognized

I just got off that site. Whoa. Super expensive. Especially compared to those I've been looking at in Guatemala.

Jake- Are you looking at schools in Mexico?

Old 05-16-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
To Smart For Mensa

I was. The tenative plan was to study in mexico but since I started reading Central America on a shoestring I've been thinking more and more about skipping most of mexico and going right to the G-spot. Seems to be cheaper all around and I've got enough of mexico here in Phoenix...
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Yeah. I want to do the bulk of my language stuff in Guatemala (hahaha on the G-spot ref)....but, feel I'll want to make sure I'm comfortable with my travelling lingo before trekking around mexico, northern guate and belize...even though I know they mostly speak english in belize.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
To Smart For Mensa

when are you goin?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #17
Yoda

Congrats Jake!!!!

Joker, I've actually heard the opposite about Nicaragua... a couple of friends have been there and said that not only was the place absolutely beautiful but the people were fantastic as well. One of them has plans to relocate there.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
The " ... " queen of TP!

wow good luck Jake! Sounds like a blast!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #19
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJake@May 16 2006, 04:39 PM
when are you goin?
[snapback]121232[/snapback]
I leave for Mexico on Sept. 10th. Plan to be in Guatemala by mid October, roughly...

Old 05-16-2006, 03:30 PM   #20
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@May 16 2006, 05:01 PM

Joker, I've actually heard the opposite about Nicaragua... a couple of friends have been there and said that not only was the place absolutely beautiful but the people were fantastic as well.* One of them has plans to relocate there.*
[snapback]121233[/snapback]
I've heard similar things!