Anyone been to Eastern Canada? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Canada

Canada Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, french culture, hockey...Ohhhh Canada...

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
Artist of Life

Hey T-punks,

Just wondering who's been to Eastern Canada backpacking...wondering if you can share your experiences with me.

yes, its sad, I know nothing about the East of my country.
=(
But i'm sure a trip there will solve that!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

which part specifically? eastern canada encompasses everything east of ontario.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
workin for the man...

been everywhere but the rock... one day i will make it there.

good time out east... got some good brewery tours to hit... keiths & moosehead.

ed
Old 07-28-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally posted by d_fresh@Jul 28 2005, 06:11 AM
which part specifically? eastern canada encompasses everything east of ontario.
Sorry...not being specific.

I mean specifically, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick.

Any suggestions on where I should go?
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 07-28-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

I could write a few pages on newfoundland and labrador....

for a first time visitor I'd suggest spending a few days in st. john's then renting a car and driving around the province. what are you interested in? culture, nature, scenery, etc...? what time of year are you thinking of coming?

if it were me I'd actually either take a car or rent a car and to the drive through all those provinces if you have the time to do it.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:48 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian Bacon@Jul 28 2005, 07:27 AM
I mean specifically, Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick.
I'm a Yankee and even I know those are called the Maritimes

I don't any suggestions for you, as I've never been anywhere in the east except Toronto...but good luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:37 AM   #7
Artist of Life

yeah im into nature, scenery, culture...the whole thing. St. John's eh... sounds like a start. I originally wanted to go on xmas holiday...but do you think it'll be nicer in the spring?

And yes...it is shameful how little me and a lot of Torontonians know about the rest of the Canada...

Old 07-29-2005, 06:47 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

canadian dude did his trip here in the winter time....personally I'd suggest coming in summer.
winters here can be brutal, you can't even walk on the sidewalks in st. john's.....plus there's no icebergs, whales or porpoise in winter.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:29 AM   #9
Members

If you are coming to Newfoundland & Labrador don't come in winter if you aren't interested in getting snowed in, froze to death and frostbitten. But if you are into winter stuff, you could head to Marble Mountain for a great ski trip, or you could head up to Labrador where the groomed ski-doo paths are literally highways. A lot of the communities in Labrador can only be reached boat or air in summer, but in the winter you can head out there on ski-doo. If you are in Labrador check out Red Bay, that is in southern Labrador. You can also head up north and see the amazing Northern Lights, and stop off at some of the Inuit and Innu communities along the way.
Also in the spring it could seem a little bit more on the wintery side. So your best bet is to come in the summer. You can catch all the traditional Newfie festivals. There is one in almost every place you could think of, except maybe Corbin and Joe Batt's Arm (there are also a great deal of great place names you can laugh at along the way). Also if you are really into a good time. You should definitely come around the last week of July, first week of August. For the George Street Festival & The Regatta (the oldest and first continuous sporting event in North America) which are both located in St. John's.
If you are interested in plays highlighing our culture and history check out Seasons in the Bight, put off by the Rising Tide Theatre in Trinity Bight up on the Bonavista Penisula.
If you love scenery and nature then definitely head out to Gros Morne National Park. World UNESCO site. It is absolutely stunning. And you have to check out the fjords, take a boat ride.
If you are into some real historic stuff, you should definitely go the Lanse, Aux Meadows (the first ever cultural UNESCO site. and if you didn't know it is where the vikings landed 1000 years ago, it was a real viking settlement.). It is worth seeing. Great people, great story. They have actors there portraying the vikings.
If you wanna hear some thick accents and and feel like you are in Ireland, head to the Cape Shore. Visit Trepassey and Fogo Island.
Definitely try and fit in some visits to the outport communities along the island. And if you need any help or just someone to tell you about the place, ask and you could get a place to stay and meals to boot. The people hear are genuine and we love tourists. Maybe I'm biased cuz I live here but that's okay.
Also try and fit in a whale watching/ice berg/bird tour if you can. Don't forget to try out our great Newfie food, best food in the world!
Oh and if you rent a car, watch out for the Moose. But we do have signs with Moose on them, so if you see a sign, drive carefully.
Have a good trip.
diamondgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 PM   #10
Artist of Life

Sweet. Thanks for the info diamondgal... I just might go there in winter. Although I hate the cold...i do think skidoos are really badass. But sounds quite lovely in the summer.....Hmmmmmmm.....
And yeah, we go the moose thing in Ontario too....
ANyhow, thanks!