what was your worst night camping ever? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk

Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk They don't call it the "Great Outdoors" for nothing - trail talk, camping tips, mountaineering, etc.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #21
TPunk Emeritus

I have a few but two stand out. The first happened on a family trip to the Great Smokey Mnts when I was 10 or so. My little brother was 6 and my step brother was 14, so we all shared the same 4-person tent. We stayed at a family camp ground and the site was on a slight hill and I got the lowest part (because it didnt have any stones and my brothers thought it was gentleman-ly to give the spot to me). The next morning I woke up and my sleeping bag was soaked but it hadnt rained. My younger brother had...err...wet his bag and it had leaked down to mine. Thank god for pay showers.

The other one was when I went to Bonnaroo this summer. After driving nearly 20 hours straight...alone with only one hour nap I got in and set up camp. It was probably close to 95-degrees and the tent I had didnt exactly have central air. So it was noon and I was trying to sleep. I had forgotten my sleeping bag and pillow - so I used the clothes I packed as a pillow and a hoodie as a blanket (when it got cold during the night). The sweat was dripping off my nose (seriously) I'd wipe it away and it'd be dripping in two seconds (not joking). Luckly the next two days werent as hot and I didnt sleep much.

Edited because I have no grammer skills.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 04:47 PM   #22
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

^getting peed on...priceless!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:17 PM   #23
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Jen05

I spent part of this summer working at an overnight camp, and on one particular canoe trip, we were setting up tents with a bunch of preteen girls. Another staff member mentioned to me that one of our girls maybe kinda didn't want to use the outhouse or bush and smelled of something that was not pee...and guess which staff person was put in her tent? Me! It was a hot, humid night, and a small tent and it was her, the girl everyone couldn't stand because she was always homesick and cried nonstop, and a crazy girl I was scared of (12 year old girls scare me! They're vicious!) Anyway, that wasn't a highlight!
Jen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:07 PM   #24
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

^sounds like she was having a rough time...and you were too

Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 AM   #25
Members

I have two stories.

The first was in high school. It was a beautiful, warm August evening with no rain in the forcast. My friends and I went camping, and I brought my tent "just in case". The rest of them were giving me a hard time for wussing out and brining a tent. A few more freinds showed up that evening. Well, of course, it started to rain. We had about seven people in a tent that was barely adequate for four. That was a long night.

The other time was in Ohio, near lake Eerie. I'd never been to Ohio, but back home in Oregon most camgrounds were in beautiful, scenic areas- or you can just go up in the woods and camp somewhere. In my nieveity, I thought it would be the same thing in Ohio. I looked all over for the "good" campground, but finally had to settle for the "least bad" one. People were shoulder-to-shoulder, and you could hear TVs, crying babies, and generators. You could also hear the nearby freeway. It was also way overpriced at about $20. There were few trees- you were pretty much camping the the middle of the field. This was the GOOD campground, mind you. There were a few ponds there, which I thought were nice, but they turned out to be a mosquito breeding ground. That night, I got up to take a leak. Upon returning, the tent zipper got stuck and I couldn't close it up that last 1" or so. No big deal- it was only an inch and I was exhausted, so I just went back to sleep. I vaguely remember brushing the occasional bug off of my face in my sleep. At dawn, I wake up to see a SWARM of mosquitos over me and my wife. We had over 75 bites each on any exposed piece of skin! We didn't want those little fuggers to lay any more eggs, and we wanted revenge, so we started smashing them against the sides of the tent, which wound up getting little blood stains all over it. I'm still baffaled that all of those bugs found that one tiny opening- they must've been HUNGRY!

The moral- don't camp in Ohio. It just isn't worth it, and you don't even save much money.
@dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 PM   #26
***** gear guru

^yea, mosquitos suck!

Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #27
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

sleeping in a wet sleeping bag on the floor of a tent at north east carry maine in the middle of a thunderstorm when it had to be below freezing...sucked. i've never been colder in my entire life
Old 01-12-2006, 09:28 PM   #28
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

havnt had a bad experience.....how fun is throwin shit in the fire...like baked beans....and cans of shit beer ....and aerosol cans..... ahhhhh the memorys

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:59 PM   #29
Members

Yeah- that brings back memories...like of last Friday night :P
@dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #30
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by morte@Dec 28 2005, 06:21 PM
We live literally in the middle of nowhere so after a long winter of being snowed in we tend to get a bit ______ (insert mild word for stupid) and go on very extreme, shall we say, treks into the wilderness in order to shake off the restraints of winter breath fresh air into our lungs and test our physical endurance (but really it was a dumb idea)
[snapback]95226[/snapback]

haha thats funny because me and my buddy came up with the same plan to go off into the wilderness with nothing and camp. Kinda like Surviroman. lol. Looks like we better bring a bit of supplies for backup and a "flashlight" as you said.

The worst camping trip ever was a buddy and I went hiking and then set up camp around 8:30 just before dark. We had a coulpe of beers lol. We fell asleep in our tent and woke up to the tent being completely collapsed on us with an old lady yelling at us and a dog barking. There were 4 inch deep puddles of water all over our tent around our bodies. It was hectick the lady was yelling at us because she said we "wern't supposed to camp in parks" pfff
Jason_Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #31
***** gear guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason_Europe@Feb 10 2006, 03:02 PM
It was hectick the lady was yelling at us because she said we "wern't supposed to camp in parks" pfff
[snapback]102094[/snapback]
Sucks getting the boot while camping. I got the boot in Siciliy in a park by the police

Old 04-11-2006, 10:08 AM   #32
Members

Send a message via AIM to Andrusha

The worst night camping ever:

Hmm...luckily for me I didn't have to suffer from sleeping in puddles of water or mud or try to keep myself from freezing to death (even though I did spend six months in Siberia). My worst camping experience came courtesy of my own self. About six or seven years ago my friends invited me to a small camping trip to Delaware Water Gap. Mind you I have never been hiking in US previously just Russia. Since I had no time to get ready (my friends just showed up by my door and drag me into a car) whatever I had on me, thats how I went to hike. What else I did not know that camping with my friends involved two of the nature's finest products (beer and certain herbal remedies). First night went smooth and day went smooth, but when we came back from hiking, we saw a group that was camping right next to our camp fleeing in terror. Turns out when they were out hiking two bears came down from the mountains and riped there tent to shreds (they frogot their food in tent....duh). So at about 11 or midnight, we sitting around the fire enjoy some of the nature's finest, when i decided it was time for some pay back. I heard some noise in the woods, grabbed a baseball bat, told my friends that no bear will ever get us and went hunting. You heard it right. I went hunting for a bear with a baseball bat (after that event I said goodbye to beer and pretty much all alcohol). I was completly wasted and had no care in a world for anything. So I began climbing up the mountain (it was not steep thanks god) looking for a bear. For the first hour it was amazing. Cloudless night, stars everywhere (not as beautiful as in a desert, but still). Then two things hit me at once. Number one was that my high was wearing off and I was getting sober. Number two was that it was almost one thirty in the morning and I had no idea where I was. And then (why does it always happen at the worst time ever) the light went dead. So here I am, almost sober, with a baseball bat, god knows where, in the middle of the night looking for a bear. I had never felt so alone at that moment. That feeling is the worst feeling I had ever had in life, so even though I did managed to get back (i mean all i had to do is keep on going down untill i reached the river and then just found my campsite from there) and laugh about it later on, I still consider this being as one of the worst trips ever.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #33
Members

Send a message via AIM to uninspired

Before starting a backpack in Utah last year, we car camped in Zion National Park (beautiful! Beautiful! Go right now!) after twenty-one hours of driving. Anything looks unpleasant after twenty-one hours in a fourteen-person van, especially when it's pitch-black and pouring outside and the entirety of the campsite is both mooshy and slanted. Ugh. Cue soaking tents and sleeping bags and fourteen unrested unhappy backpackers, due to go traipsing off into the brush the very next day.

That said, however, the rest of the trip was fantastic.

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die, even the undertaker will be sorry." --Mark Twain

facutvivas.wordpress.com
uninspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #34
***** gear guru

Hunting a bear with a baseball bat...thats a new one!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:31 AM   #35
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

most of my camping experiences have been pretty good, except for the occaisional rain and cold weather, but one night my friends and I had a bonfire for burning all our school books after we finished school - it was awesome, we had a great time burning stuff, drinking, playing music.. the night was really warm and i had one of the best nights sleep i've ever had camping. then we all woke up and were like 'dammit, we didnt plan for camping'. we were starving and all we had were three marshmallows left and about a third of a bottle of vodka. none of us had thought of breakfast, we were all still over the limit so couldnt drive into town, we didnt have jackets or any new clothes and it was generally a pretty crap morning. so when you go camping: always prepare for the morning!!
Old 04-13-2006, 07:29 AM   #36
Members

Send a message via AIM to nemesis331

we were camping on moosehead lake in May. we were at the northernmost tip of the lake and if you don't know, the ice doesnt go out until mid may on the lakes in Maine, and we usually time it to about a week or 10 days following that because the fishing is best. anyways, one night it absolutely poured all evening and into the night and then the temp just dropeed and i have no idea how, but i woke up in frozed, wet sleeping bag. it was horrible. i shiverred it out until morning and changed my clothes and lined my bag with other dry clothes from my bag to keep warm. talk about a rough night though, and of course when your that cold time stands still.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #37
TPunk Recognized

Oh man.....August 1998...My ex hubby (eagle scout) came to visit me from Virginia while I was still living in Utah, before we were married. I planned a camping trip for the two of us up in Little Cottonwood Canyon. My Dad gave us the directions to hike to the most amazing, secluded camp site near a lake. Poor hubby was dying from the altitude...but kept going, trying to be the eagle scout that he was.
We finally got there, amazed at the scenery around us....set up camp, collected firewood etc. We thought we were in heaven and were ready to tear each others clothes off when we started to see the growing population of mosquitos close in on us! Those little suckers attacked, not an ounce of sympathy for us ....they were so dang happy to see fresh, human meat! We literally couldn't escape....there were thousands of them! We tried to smoke them out, ended up smoking ourselves out, while trying to cook dinner. It was the middle of August and we had every piece of clothing (including gloves) on! Not to mention an entire bottle of insect repellent.
We ended up sealing ourselves off in the tent with our food. I swelled up like a balloon because I'm allergic. We sat there all night, in our tent...watching those little bastards try to get to us.
Needless to say, we packed up first thing in the morning and hiked down (wearing all our mosquito-protection gear).
I hiked so fast back to the car, I ended up leaving the poor ex in the dust...as he was suffering from the altitude. I remember stopping to wait for him...and as I was watching him approach...I felt so bad for him. The poor guy was trudging forward, head hung, no energy and no will to swat at those stupid mosquitos.

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:53 PM   #38
***** gear guru

^ we had a simular experience in Maine last summer

Old 04-27-2006, 08:10 AM   #39
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Maineartist

I went with a huge group of friends by boat to an island. There was one boat and it went back and brought boatloads of people to this island for the night. I only brought a sleeping bag. I had a few beers and went off to sleep. At first the mosqitoes were so bad I was trying to hide with my sleeping bag pulled up over my head but I was getting bit through my sleeping bag. There were drunk people going swimming and their voices were carrying over the water so it was like they were right next to me. I tried getting up and having a beer in the night but I was really tired. They didn't go to bed until 3 a.m. When I crawled out of my sleeping bag my friend and I took a canoe and rowed around the island in the fog. Once we left the island we all got breakfast then I drove in my van to Bowdoin college and did a watercolor painting in the green grass with hardly anyone around.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #40
***** gear guru

^which islands were these?