Backcountry hiking! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk

Camping, Hiking, and Climbing Talk They don't call it the "Great Outdoors" for nothing - trail talk, camping tips, mountaineering, etc.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

This summer we have been able to hike a ton in some absolutely amazing places, and as the summer comes to an end I feel a little stir crazy to get in a few more hikes and some backcountry camping.

We started off the summer going to the North Eastern US (Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine) and climbing the amazing peaks and exploring Acadia National Park. A month after that we hit the road for a month and a half raod trip which we started of by hiking in South Dakota. Then, for our gem, we spent a week in Glacier National Park's backcountry. WOW! If that place doesn't set a fire in you to hike/camp, no place will. Then we topped it off with a few days in Olypmic National Park.

Now we have settled in Seattle and we have access to so much hiking and backcountry, but we both just started new jobs and are finding oursleves pressed to get out. The other day I went on a day hike with some advid hikers I've just met and we hiked 11 miles around the mountains at Snow Lake and Gem Lake while it dumped rain, snow and wind on us - and I didn't care - I just hiked and ate a ton of wild blueberries.

[attachmentid=118]
^Snow Lake in nasty weather!

Is it just me or is anybody else constantly jones'n to get out in the wilderness?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg snowlake.jpg (32.0 KB, 39 views)

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Yoda

It's just you, dude. I only camp in hotel rooms.

In a word: yes.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Backpacking is my faovrite way to camp. Its just so much more fulfilling to be in a place with no car access, that you had to hike into.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

I hear ya, Anthon. I can't really go packing, or camping for that matter, since Delaware is pretty much two hours from anywhere were an overnight hike would be found. I spend my days off (which stands at one a week) around the state parks, with whopping 3.4 mile loops and well worn trails (with plenty of crazy mountain bikers zooming around the over grown curves). Yeah, I miss Tenn and dirivng through the Southern Apps this summer. I'm trying to get my boyfriend to do an overnight up in the Catskills in October, I've gotten him to an outdoor arts festival...and that's the farthest he's gotten to the great outdoors.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:44 PM   #5
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Yeah. Overnight bike trips and hiking camping excursions rock my lil world.

When I lived in CO we were going backcountry camping 3-4 nights a week. I loved it.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

^sounds like the life Jake! if i didn't have to work for a living and weren't so attached to cities for some strange reason, i'd be backcountry all the time. anthon and i are definetly jonesing for an excursion. luckily we will be hitting the north cascades for a couple days later this week.

and to add on to what anthon already said about glacier...it's the type of place that stays in your blood after you've been there once and experienced it. it's the most beautiful place i've ever see (i and i've been all over this freakin' continent) and i just can't get it out on my head. i gotta go back!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
Members

Send a message via AIM to rjt98 Send a message via Yahoo to rjt98

Yea ive been to glacier 3 times. My last trip was for a week there and we hiked about 55 miles of glacier trails... Absolutly amazing place. Im heading for some backcountry in california this weekend.

-rt
rjt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #8
Backcountry Betty

Quote:
Originally posted by rjt98@Sep 11 2005, 09:16 PM
Im heading for some backcountry in california this weekend.

-rt
[snapback]76565[/snapback]
sweet! where?

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
Members

Send a message via AIM to rjt98 Send a message via Yahoo to rjt98

Im not exactly sure, im going with my uncle and he is going to let me know... I think either Yosemite or mammoth. We will probably do 2 nights in the backcountry then hike out... Should be fun.

-rt
rjt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Wow, those pictures were amazing. Now, I'd like to plan a trek out there. I have not seen enough of the of western US where it seems a lot of the beautiful scenery is.

I grew up in the country, so while I've always love the outdoors, I've never had the urge to go "backcountry" since that's about where I lived. If I wanted to go camping with no one around, I just had to hike a little behind my house. Granted, we didn't have mountains and national parks, but it was nice.

During the summer, weekends are full of outdoor activities; four wheeling, hiking, campfires, etc.

We're still heading up there every weekend. I'm trying to adjust to city life, which would probably be more exciting if I actually got out of the house, aside from heading up north. But yes, I'm trying to enjoy what's left of our beautiful weather in the great outdoors.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:26 PM   #11
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by blinkchick2134+Sep 11 2005, 08:01 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blinkchick2134 @ Sep 11 2005, 08:01 PM)</div>
Quote:
I spend my days off (which stands at one a week) around the state parks, with whopping 3.4 mile loops and well worn trails (with plenty of crazy mountain bikers zooming around the over grown curves).*
[snapback]76553[/snapback]
[/b]
I've been there - I think all hikers have, but its something.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJake@Sep 11 2005, 08:44 PM
When I lived in CO we were going backcountry camping 3-4 nights a week. I loved it.
[snapback]76559[/snapback]
j/k - that must have rocked!

<!--QuoteBegin-jamiepeaski
@Sep 12 2005, 08:00 AM
I have not seen enough of the of western US where it seems a lot of the beautiful scenery is.
[snapback]76612[/snapback]
Well you know you are welcome to visit anytime - and we'll take you out camping!

Old 09-18-2005, 11:07 PM   #12
Members

Send a message via MSN to zero

Quote:
Originally posted by kingcrazylegs@Sep 11 2005, 12:16 PM
This summer we have been able to hike a ton in some absolutely amazing places, and as the summer comes to an end I feel a little stir crazy to get in a few more hikes and some backcountry camping.*

We started off the summer going to the North Eastern US (Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine) and climbing the amazing peaks and exploring Acadia National Park.* A month after that we hit the road for a month and a half raod trip which we started of by hiking in South Dakota.* Then, for our gem, we spent a week in Glacier National Park's backcountry.* WOW!* If that place doesn't set a fire in you to hike/camp, no place will.* Then we topped it off with a few days in Olypmic National Park.

Now we have settled in Seattle and we have access to so much hiking and backcountry, but we both just started new jobs and are finding oursleves pressed to get out. * The other day I went on a day hike with some advid hikers I've just met and we hiked 11 miles around the mountains at Snow Lake and Gem Lake while it dumped rain, snow and wind on us - and I didn't care - I just hiked and ate a ton of wild blueberries.

[attachmentid=118]
^Snow Lake in nasty weather!

Is it just me or is anybody else constantly jones'n to get out in the wilderness?
[snapback]76531[/snapback]
How do you get so much time to do all of this... I mean do you werk or anything... I have to know the secret...
Old 09-18-2005, 11:43 PM   #13
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

he's got a sugar momma working at starbucks making the big money!

Old 09-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
***** gear guru

Quote:
Originally posted by zero+Sep 18 2005, 11:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zero @ Sep 18 2005, 11:07 PM)</div>
Quote:
How do you get so much time to do all of this... I mean do you werk or anything... I have to know the secret...
[snapback]77390[/snapback]
[/b]
We bascily left our jobs for the summer (Beth took a leave of absence and I had quit my job) and had saved a bit of money (not enough) to take the summer hiking - the rest of the time we just use leave or days off and such

<!--QuoteBegin-TheJake
@Sep 18 2005, 11:43 PM
[snapback]77398[/snapback]
ya think so huh Jakey? You're just jealous

Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
Members

Right on.... I really should just do that sometime..... I werk far to much I think. I really need to take off for up north for a coupla months.... I tell you folks if you like to backpack and kayak Boundry Waters is the place for you... I've been up there twice two weeks each time and I have to say I had a great time. Just watch out for moose! They have a think about kickin people around up there.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:43 PM   #16
Backcountry Betty

Quote:
Originally posted by TheJake@Sep 18 2005, 10:43 PM

[snapback]77398[/snapback]

well, not any more...anthon landed a pretty nice job counseling in the city.

zero - we just paid our bills up a couple months in advanced...waited until our lease ended and then jumped in the car to camp all summer. you can keep it pretty cheap if you plan it out. then when you run out of money got back and sign a 6 month lease and work you ass off again. also, while we are working, we spend NOTHING. we stay at home alot (on travelpunk )..we cook all of our meals (no going out to eat)...we don't go drink or party. yeah, you'll be amazed how quickly you can save money that way. our little camping adventure last week only cost up $25 for a tank of gas and $20 for a couple lipton packets and trail mix and in exchange we saw the majestic cascade mountains. you gotta love it!

Old 09-21-2005, 02:13 AM   #17
***** gear guru

Quote:
Originally posted by zero@Sep 19 2005, 01:37 PM
Boundry Waters is the place for you...
[snapback]77512[/snapback]
where is that?

Old 09-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #18
Members

The boundry waters are in northern minnesota. They go into canada... It is pretty much an extensive network of lakes and rivers all connected... The is a lot of great hiking and paddling up there. There are no motorized watercraft allowed so the lakes are really really clean. If you are out there and in ten foot of water you can see clearly to the bottom, though in some areas the water has a redish tint that is from all of the coniferous trees the secreet something that makes the water red I guess.... Anyway yeah... Boundry Waters Good Stuff. And If you go and are worried about getting lost there are all sorts of outfitters that you can get a preplanned trip route with maps and a gps unit preprogrammed with waypoints so you just follow the arrow...
Old 09-26-2005, 01:02 AM   #19
***** gear guru

^that does sound pretty cool

Old 09-26-2005, 02:26 AM   #20
Members

Send a message via MSN to KingJawsh

I'm jelous...i didnt get to spend half as much time as i wanted out in the woods this summer... got to go climbing maybe a donzen time... but next spring i'll be spenden about 3 months back country... i'm thinkin the Eldred valley