how do you pack your bag - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #1
Members

do you have clothes lying flat or roll?

and do you use thoe space bags the ones wear you can roll all the excess air out so they are flatter! :greenguy:
Munkeyrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

i just logged in to ask this very same question. hopefully u'll get sum responses soon so i can use thier advice too.hehehe.

i know the havier bulkier things r supose to be bout middle right to equal the weight on yur back
And if one man can stand tall..
There must be hope for us all...
Somewhere, somewhere, in the spirit of man.
raysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:29 AM   #3
The " ... " queen of TP!

well, i started off rolling...but by the end of the trip I was just shoving stuff into my pack & leaving...much easier that way

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Jen05

My bag was actually lighter when I was coming home then when I left...I left a lot of clothes. But I started rolling, then found just shoving or trying to fold made things more organized (sounds a bit off, and ironic, but it worked). As for space bags, I considered them, but figured they'd get really frustrating. Especially considering if you're backpacking, you're always on the move, things like that. Besides, won't your pack weigh a ton if you're compressing tons of things in there? Just my two cents...
Jen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
The " ... " queen of TP!

yeah, i used ziplock bags at the beginning which were my version of space bags (hence why I started rolling), then the bags broke and so did my orginization. But agree w/ Jen; somehow the mess was more organzied...or maybe I'm just so used to clutter it was for me I too ended up leaving a *shitload* (pardon my french) of clothes overseas...unintentionally....but its ok, it made room for the new stuff I bought

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I use compression bags and yes, they do make things heavier if you fill your backpack up with 'em! However, I just use them so I can take my carry-on sized pack with me instead of the big mofo. They are a bitch in terms of re-packing at every stop, but if it keeps me from having to check my luggage, I'm all for it!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:57 PM   #7
Members

I was gonan use em for my work clothes that I will need to take with me for interviews. Since I wont be wearing em till I get a interview/job I put em in a roll space bag. Its shrunk them heaps thoe there was only a pair of paints and 2 shirts to begin with. LOL But yeah I got a pack wear ya put ya sleeping bag/matt shoes down the bottom I have also fitted in my thongs a pair of cons socks light weight towl and face washer. It full now LOL I was gonna take my Scout cupbowlset to ( coz we are gonna be camping heaps in the uk and europe) but might ditch it and buy one when there. MAN this is hard choosing what to leave behind. I like variety in clothes and only having to choose a few of each is gonna be hard LOL but on the otherside of things I think this will teach me all the more the value of material posessions isnt really that important, dont ya think?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

I roll our stuff.
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:52 AM   #9
Drifter in the making.

At the beginning I roll.. Pants towards the bottom, then shirts and socks towards the top.. I have two mesh bags... a white one in which I keep clean undies... and a black on where the dirty undies and socks go ... those go right at the top... it's amazing you can actually wash your undies in the bags... and you never lose anything!!

and when things start to get dirty... I stop rolling them... they're probably already wrinkled anyways at this point... and then I can tell the reasonably clean stuff from the truley dirty stuff.

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:56 AM   #10
Members

do ya reckon ya should stick to the like 3 thsirts 3 tank tops etc thing for a trip thats gonna be 8 months long?
or is packing lite always the way to go full stop.?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:06 AM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Packing lite is defintly the way to go. If you dont, you will most certainly throw stuff out in the middle of the trip.

I rolled my clothes. And I too just ended up stuffing.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:27 AM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Pack as light as you can, even for a long trip - you will wash your clothes from time to time! On longer trips, we generally plan on hitting a laundromat once a week, so have enough clothes to get through one week, with maybe an extra pair of undies just in case. And I always take clothes that will dry overnight and a bar of soap (Ivory's good for the purpose) so I can wash them in the sink.

Just make sure that if you're on a long trip, you have appropriate clothing for the seasons where you'll be - or plan your trip from north to south: you can wear the same clothes in southern Italy in October that you wore in Germany in April.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:33 AM   #13
Members

thanks! light it is
Old 04-27-2006, 02:42 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to Degrassi

A backpacking friend got me turned on to packing cubes - mesh bags (usually cube shaped, hense the name) that keep your sac orginized. I thought they were a waste of money, but then I found them at half price. I figure they'll at least help me seperate clean from dirty?!
So far (in order) - Canada, USA, Israel, Wales, Ireland, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic, Holland, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovenia, Croatia, Slovenia, Germany, Italy, Greece, Turkey, S.Korea, Thailand, Morocco
Degrassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #15
TPunk Camping Addict

This a a packing guideline for hiking and camping I have used for years, but I'm sure a lot of this will be useful for all the backpackers.

1. In the bottom section put all your bulky, but light items. Eg: sleeping bag, towel, second pair of shoes, fleece or sweater, etc. Of course make sure to have the last onc close to the zipper if you need to get it out.
2. Heavy items (water, canned food, camping stove) place at or above your waist level close to your center of gravity. The closer you get these things to your back the less the pack will pull you backwards.
3. Here you put the items you will need while traveling: extra clothes, toiletries, some food, guidebook, etc.
4. The top is reserved for your easy reach items – map, windbreaker, etc. As well as anything you don’t want squashed and flat.
5. Top and side pockets are the perfect place to pack all those little things you always seem to have: chapstick, extra socks, camera, flashlight, pen and paper, granola bars, hat, etc.
6. Strap your tent and sleeping pad to the sides of the pack. Best to wrap them up in waterproof bags in case of rain.
7. On the hip belt you can attach anything you may want to have with you without too much reaching: water bottle, compass, gum, etc.

Here are a few more good hints for packing:

- Even if you will be traveling in a dry region always pack your things in waterproof bags, especially your sleeping bag, sleeping pad and clothes. There is nothing worst than a wet sleeping bag. It makes packing and finding things easier. Packing cubes help to pack/organize things too.
- When beggining to pack first spread out all your stuff on the floor and give it a once over – this way you can spot what you’re missing and where to pack what.
- Think about how you are going to use things and pack them accordingly: put your pj’s with your sleeping bag, your toiletries close to the towel and your utensils, stove and food together.
- First pack the big bulky things and then fill in the gaps bewteen them with other smaller things – you will save space this way and you can ensure that any metal you may bring won’t crush other items.
- If you strap your tent to one side put your water and canned food on the other side to balance your backpack as much as you can.
- Don’t pack wet items into your backpack. Tie them onto your pack and let them dry completely before packing.
- Pack the least used items at the bottom and the everyday use items withing easy reach.
- The divider in your pack can aid in keeping things organized. Removing the divider will aid in taking advantage of packing space available.
- A few spafe plastic bags are always good to have in case the old ones get lost or ripped.