is this pack too good to be true? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-31-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Members

i would really appreciate input on this pack before i buy it! i have absolutely no experience with backpacking. thanks

http://www.northernmountain.com/detail/dan...andesFarFlung03

it's only $99 with free shipping! i've read good things about this pack, but i wanted to doublecheck before i order it. a couple questions:

1. is it ok to buy a pack online? i know the best idea would be to try one on in a store, but i couldn't find any stores in chicago that carry this pack for this cheap. i'm on a pretty tight budget and $100-$150 is all i want to spend.

2. is this a good pack for my size? i'm a female, 5'7 and 120 lbs... not strong at all!

3. is this a good pack for what i want to do? i'm studying in england for the year, so i plan on using it as one piece of luggage for the plane ride over. while in england, i'll want to use it for small weekend plane/train trips. then i'm gonna travel around europe for a month during spring break.

4. is it the right size? the website says it's 3800 cu. in./85 liters, but i'm confused because all they have left in stock is a lg/xl bronze pack... is 85 liters considered lg/xl? would i be able to use it as a carry on?

any advice would be much appreciated! and if this pack isn't right, recommendations for different packs within my price range would be great!
illiniluv85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
Yoda

Hi there!

First of all, Dana Design is a great brand and I doubt you'd go wrong with one of their packs. Second, 85 litres is a VERY BIG PACK. 99 bucks really is a good deal but there's no way in tarnation you'll get to use that as a carry on. I used a 50-litre pack for a 5 week trip and it was perfectly commodious, but definitely not carry-on size.

I recommend doing more research on the Far Flung to see what exactly the measurements are for the L/XL size. Honestly I think it's going to be too big for you, but I could be wrong. Also try to scout out some stores that have backpacks in stock-- go try a bunch on and see what works for you and what doesn't, then come back and find it online cheaper. Lastly, yes, shopping online for a backpack is a GREAT way to get a fantastic deal on what would otherwise be a very expensive piece of gear. But I've said it before and I'll say it again: research, research, research! You can check out more info about the Dana Design Far Flung here. And google it too-- you may find that pack in a size that fits you for a good price somewhere else! (Assuming you decide that's the pack you want to buy.)

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2005, 10:18 PM   #3
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

^she said it.

It is a very good pack. I have a Dana myself and love it. I've been recomending the far flung and swift traveler to people as great travel packs. It has a removable day pack which is a huge bonus.

You may want to see if you can call in the order and get a smaller hip belt. For example...I am 6'6, but thin, so I got a xl pack and a medium hip belt. If you can't, then find out how much it is to just buy a hip belt from dana...

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #4
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Thumbs up

KCL,

If you had to pick a backpack to LIVE out of for the rest of your life, would it be this one or another pack?

Thanks,

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #5
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by foofiter@Aug 1 2005, 09:30 PM
KCL,

If you had to pick a backpack to LIVE out of for the rest of your life, would it be this one or another pack?

Thanks,

Foo

Live out of for life huh.....well it would certainly be a Dana Design. Though Dana doesn't always get a lot of press (though does often win awards) it gets very high praise amongst expeditioners - and they ruely live out of their packs for months. I have the Glacier - but I have that one because it suits my backcountry backpacking the most, and also works for travel.

The thing that I like about the Far flung and the Swift Traveler is that they have the build of a long haul pack (like for an expeditioner) and so they stay comfy even after awhile, and they also have removable day packs and are more versitile for travel. Like my Glacier they are hybrids, meaning they have a top loading and side loading. This is SO helpful.

While on the beach overnight with Jeanie in Washington, we got rained on all night. My pack was outside and when I woke up it had a puddle (like a 1/2 gallon, seriously) sitting on it.....I thought the worst, but when I opened my pack, dry, through and through. My point is that the packs are built very well. I have try many many brands, and never found one more durable and comfortable.

So, to answer your question.... I would live out of a Dana, which one would depend on where I was planning to be. The far flung and the swift traveler are made for traveling as well as backpacking outdoors. The swift traveler is large, and you have to be tall (like me) to wear it.

Old 08-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
Members

thanks for the advice everyone! i ended up finding a far flung for $150 at reioutlet. after talking to a very nice guy at northern mountain supply, i realized that i needed to get a size small because my torso is shorter than i thought. they didn't have a small in stock there so i found one for $50 more at rei.

something i learned: if you buy from a website, you should definitely measure yourself and call the company to make sure you're ordering the right size. (most websites for pack companies have a measuring guide on them)

my pack doesn't arrive for a few more weeks, so i have yet to find out if i made the right decision. i'm pretty confident about my purchase though! i'll post when i finally get it!

this is the pack i got:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDis...cm_cat=datafeed
illiniluv85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
Yoda

I think you'll be very happy with that backpack. And congrats on not cheaping out and deciding to spend a little more money to get the right pack *for you*!!
Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
***** gear guru

congrats

Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter
Exclamation

Far Flung it is for me. Are there any real differences between '03 and '04?

Foo

"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #10
Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by foofiter@Aug 22 2005, 05:19 PM
Far Flung it is for me. Are there any real differences between '03 and '04?
[snapback]74375[/snapback]
Probably just color. I have the '05 Marmot Femme Nikita and ScarlotteDorian has what I think is the '04, and there is no difference in our packs besides color. Mine is blue & gray and hers is rust & gray.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #11
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Roger that. '03 it is for me. I dont think an uglier color (IMHO) is worth the extra $30. I can get the '03 for $99 shipped! Time to pull the trigger!

Foo

Old 08-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #12
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

cool...i just realized that we ended up getting the same pack, illiniluv85. What colour did you get? I got the black. I just figured it would go with more stuff.

That's awesome too foofiter, only $99!! Can't beat that price.

I'm still happy with my $150...although I won't be totally sure until I get it this week and try the thing on.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
***** gear guru

Once you've had your Dana for awhile you'll be hooked! Glad you guys are finding your packs - and a great prices!