Lookin Good - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!



Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Budget Travel Gear

Budget Travel Gear Yo Nellie, which backpack should I git? Questions and answers on gear related topics (i.e. backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, hiking boots, stoves, etc.).

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking

Hey,

Does anyone have any tips on looking half fashionable while backpacking???? I know it shouldn't matter but if you look good, you feel good. And I want to feel good while i'm in Europe. Thanks so much for any advice!

Holly[/color]
hollyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Yoda
 
space virgin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hell
Posts: 5,533
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Well, I guess it all depends on what your criteria are for looking good. Personally, I feel fine as long as I've showered, brushed my teeth, brushed my hair or pulled it back, and I'm wearing clean clothes. Or at least clean underwear and socks. For going out in the evening I put a little more effort into it, meaning I might wear some eyeliner or lip gloss (I can't wear face stuff though, not ever) and better clothes, but that's it.

I've met plenty of girls along the way who do the whole full face of makeup and perfectly coiffed hair thing even when just wandering around or while in transit from one place to another, which is totally cool as long as you're prepared to lug that stuff around.
__________________
Various bloggings (Version 2.0)
space virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:26 AM   #3
Minister of Offense
 
omisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Fran Disco
Posts: 6,561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan
Default

Naked always looks hot...

I keed, I keed. Ok, it's true, but hey, the most important thing to wear while backpacking is what you're comfortable in. So just pick out a few outfits that are comfortable and that you know you look good in, and you're set. A lot of the outdoors/adventure gear out there nowadays not only functions well, but looks good, too.

As for other stuff, if you want your skin, etc. to look and feel good, just remember to stay nice and hydrated at all times, and use moisturizer as soon as you get on the plane.

Lots of late nights? Stick a couple of spoons from the hostel kitchen in the freezer at night and stick 'em on your eyes in the morning to get rid of bags/darkness. Preparation H (hemorrhoid cream, NOT OINTMENT) does the same thing.

Does the odd air of a different place make your hair wig out? Rub some conditioner in there and leave it in. Just not too much, unless you like that greaser look.
__________________
¿Donde esta Omid? Omi-san wa doko desuka? Ou est Omid? Wo ist Omid?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #4
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Aug 11 2005, 11:25 PM
Naked always looks hot...*

I keed, I keed.* Ok, it's true, but hey, the most important thing to wear while backpacking is what you're comfortable in. So just pick out a few outfits that are comfortable and that you know you look good in, and you're set. A lot of the outdoors/adventure gear out there nowadays not only functions well, but looks good, too.

As for other stuff, if you want your skin, etc. to look and feel good, just remember to stay nice and hydrated at all times, and use moisturizer as soon as you get on the plane.*

Lots of late nights? Stick a couple of spoons from the hostel kitchen in the freezer at night and stick 'em on your eyes in the morning to get rid of bags/darkness. Preparation H (hemorrhoid cream, NOT OINTMENT) does the same thing.

Does the odd air of a different place make your hair wig out? Rub some conditioner in there and leave it in. Just not too much, unless you like that greaser look.
Hey,

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was really just worried about the clothing thing. But you're right you can buy a lot of adventure gear that looks good and is comfy.

Thankfully I don't have the crazy hair problem. I'd be one of those taking my straightener with me.
Thanks again


Holly
hollyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 10:20 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus
 
LiveFreeorDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newly relocated to C-bus - USA
Posts: 2,900
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Damn Omi.....you've been spending a bit too much time reading Cosmo lately.....maybe you should start a little 'T-Punk - In Style' column!
__________________
\\Jamie\\



"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #6
Minister of Offense
 
omisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Fran Disco
Posts: 6,561
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan
Default

LOL.. actually, most of it is derived from years of mid-week partying, followed by having to go to the office in the morning
__________________
¿Donde esta Omid? Omi-san wa doko desuka? Ou est Omid? Wo ist Omid?

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: philadelphia, pa u.s.a.
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi hollyv! I plan on trying to color co-ordinate my clothes. I'm packing very minimally, but what I do pack will pretty much match each other. At this point I'm going with a black and brown theme.

So even if I'm a bit wrinkled, I'll match. It's more co-ordinatiion than I usually have at home, so I'm sure I'll feel pretty spiffy while hiking the Irish countryside. The sheep will all think I look great!


Amhran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by hollyv@Aug 11 2005, 06:47 PM
Hey,

Does anyone have any tips on looking half fashionable while backpacking????* * I know it shouldn't matter but if you look good, you feel good.* And I want to feel good while i'm in Europe.* Thanks so much for any advice!

Holly[/color]
[snapback]73389[/snapback]
Hi! I find that if I want to look good as a backpacker, keep it simple simple simple! Keep your clothes as simple styles as possible. Don't bring anything that is super trendy and could either be past fashionable or not quite cool yet. I found that a lot of plain well cut t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, and pants were good. Don't bother with accessories too much, I've been using a great belt and a chunky necklace to dress up stuff. Plus, if you just need something special, its europe, they have fab shopping!
trailer_park_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 08:49 PM   #9
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by trailer_park_chick@Aug 20 2005, 10:07 AM
Hi!* I find that if I want to look good as a backpacker, keep it simple simple simple!* Keep your clothes as simple styles as possible.* Don't bring anything that is super trendy and could either be past fashionable or not quite cool yet.* I found that a lot of plain well cut t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, and pants were good.* Don't bother with accessories too much, I've been using a great belt and a chunky necklace to dress up stuff.* Plus, if you just need something special, its europe, they have fab shopping!
[snapback]74181[/snapback]
Thanks for all the advice. Some really good tips.

Holly
hollyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus
 
benna2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hanover, Ontario
Posts: 2,126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2
Default

I gotta agree with the posts about keeping it simple as far as accessories goes. I will probably bring one necklace and just wear studs in my ears...And I am a jewellry girl so that might be a little hard for me.

As far as clothes goes, it does make sense to kinda go with one or two main colours. That way everything can go together and match. I know a lot of people say not to bring jeans but I can't live without them.

Have a great trip and look hot the whole time!!
__________________
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." ~St. Augustine"

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:22 PM   #11
Members
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by benna2@Aug 25 2005, 12:29 PM
I gotta agree with the posts about keeping it simple as far as accessories goes. I will probably bring one necklace and just wear studs in my ears...And I am a jewellry girl so that might be a little hard for me.

As far as clothes goes, it does make sense to kinda go with one or two main colours. That way everything can go together and match. I know a lot of people say not to bring jeans but I can't live without them.

Have a great trip and look hot the whole time!!* *
[snapback]74873[/snapback]
Benna2

I say definatley bring jeans. Especially if you love em. They can dress up or down. Thanks for your reply. I am so excited, I leave in 18 days.
hollyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie lookin to meet some Tpunks! Higgonzo Introductions and Announcements 17 04-18-2005 05:00 PM
Not Good travelguy Bored? Links/Jokes 10 04-18-2005 01:50 PM
Nothing good can come of this, I think space virgin General Discussions 13 04-15-2005 02:28 PM
Is this good?? Jaimie7777 Travel Transportation 4 01-25-2005 11:11 AM
Lookin' for a fun/nice hotel in Rome racespace Hostel, Hotels, Budget Accomodations: Questions and tips 2 03-25-2004 11:12 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14 PM.



 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.2.0

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121