to all experts of traveling down unda......... - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Australia/NZ/S Pac.

Australia/NZ/S Pac. Backpack´n Kangaroo jack´n down-under...What is Vegemite?

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

hello tpunks!

i am planning a 22 day oz/nz trip early next year (jan/feb 07) and i need some help!

1)where can i find the cheapest plane tickets?
2)how is the weather that time of year? will it be scorching? is jan a bad time to go? now im aware oz is huge and weather will vary but how about an average between east coast, west coast, the bush, and the outback? and what is the best month to travel in australia?

i am looking to do all there is to do on a backpackers budget including partying in the major cities as well as traveling to/through the outback.

thanks you guys rock!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Are you talking about the cheapest plane tickets to get there? Or within Oz?

To get there, you just have to keep scanning the web specials. Sign up with Qantas and Air New Zealand's web sites to get some of their best web fares by email... I flew from San Francisco to Sydney on Air NZ for around $900 close to peak season, which isn't bad.

Jan/Feb, unfortunately, is right in the thick of peak season, so I'm not sure how good the deals will be then. You can search Orbitz.com to get a rough idea, and then start hunting from there.

It's also summertime, so yeah, it'll be hot, especially the farther north you go. To get a good idea of the temps, Google a weather almanac for Australia. For instance, here's USA Today's listing for Brisbane:

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/sp...li/wbrisban.htm

As far as getting around Australia goes, the backpacker buses like Oz Experience are pretty popular and include all sorts of excursions, but can be a bit pricey. I went around by bus/train and Virgin Blue (another alternative airline is JetStar) for pretty cheap. If you join YHA (or are a member of HI) you can get good deals on all sorts of excursions and discounts on accommodations.

There are a handful of Aussies here who can chime in with the straight dope. In the meantime, here's my travelogue of Oz/NZ.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Hey if your going to go to see Uluru then go with a tour company called Mulgas. They are the cheapest doing it and I had the best time. They leave from Annies Place Hostel in Alice Springs. Stay at the hostel too! It's probably not the cleanest in town but they have a restaurant there that has friggin good deals for backpackers. So remember go with Mulgas!! Ask if you have any questions. I was there for a year and I went almost everywhere.

Cheers, have fun planning!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 AM   #4
Certified Wise

I think Omi's covered it pretty well.

I will tell you however that it's going to be a long, hot summer. Here in Melbourne we recently had the hottest October day in 92 years, so yeah, it's gonna get warm.

Old 10-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

thanks so much for your help!

yes im looking for cheap tickets all around. i will be flying from LAX. and i'm not sure how im going to get around once im in that neck of the woods.

so raoul...what exactly do you mean by long hot summer? 45-ish? or much better than that.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

If you get some dates sorted maybe we can meet-up? I am heading to Oz on Jan 24 then stay for roughly 40 days then I do 20 in NZ after

I am going to BDO in Melbourne as well. Just sorted my tickets.

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #7
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Check out zuji.com.au for flights

I got most of my Australia/Asia tickets on there; you can often find some good deals, especially if you're flexible with dates.

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #8
I'll rock your socks off

I get tickets to/from oz from qantas... Usually no matter how much shopping around I do, they're the best. Try using a site like kayak.com. its easy to manipulate dates and cities.

I'd highly reccommend Byron Bay. Its a bit touristy and self-concious, but mostly its just a really cool little town in the rainforest on the beach. The lighthouse there is on the most easterly point of mainland australia, and depending on what time of year you're there you can watch the whale migration from the point. You can rent flats or houses, tons of young people about, a fair number of aussies in the mix. Also, if you can find a way to get there/ someone to hike with, climb Mt. Warning in northern NSW to watch the sun rise over the Pacific Ocean. Its a little more of a llocal, otbt sort of place. And very cool.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

I agree with Bellelass about Byron Bay. I also highly recommend Fraser Island (I think I have said this before).

To get around within OZ I used jetstar.com.au (Like Omi said). Cheap and pretty good.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

foo...that sounds great. i'd love to meet up. have you purched your tickets yet? where are you traveling from?

well, i will check out those sites. thanks everyone! as far as flexibility, i have to request the time off of work and once that's done with it's hard to change the days. however, i have not put in a request yet because im still trying to find cheap tickets. i have about 3 weeks between jan-feb and i havent picked out the weeks yet.

i really want to do some kind road trip to alice springs but i have no idea what the weather will be like there so i'm not sure how realistic it is in the summer time. are we talking vegas summers or much worse??
Old 10-18-2006, 01:03 PM   #11
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

I purchase a RTW ticket. I come from Bangkok to Sydney on Jan 24. I am heading to Melbourne as I said pretty fast because of BDO on Jan 28. I fly to Auckland from Sydney on Mar 08. I plan to make my way up from Melbourne and hit Sydney on my way out. Doesn't look like I will make it to the west on this trip but that's an Excuse to go back!

Hopefully we can pull it off!

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #12
I'll rock your socks off

I'd have to say with your timeframe, if you're really really really set on a road trip to the Alice then you should focus your energy on that. I was out there for three weeks and suggested such a thing to my (aussie) boyfriend, he laughed at me pretty much. Australia is an awfully huge country. And the outback is rough. So I had a great time in rainforest and beach and cities. You just can't do it all in three weeks.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."

Old 10-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #13
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

lol you really wont have to worry about it being scorching in NZ, whilst jan is one of our hottest months it would be unlikely to hit 30 degrees, i wudnt forget a jumper!If you need any advice for where to go etc over here let me kno!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #14
Minister of Offense

Yeah, NZ weather, as I have found, is identical to northern California (specifically San Francisco area) weather. It can be sunny and warm, but always have an extra layer handy in case the wind picks up or it decides to randomly rain.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:42 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(omisan @ Oct 19 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]142799[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Yeah, NZ weather, as I have found, is identical to northern California (specifically San Francisco area) weather. It can be sunny and warm, but always have an extra layer handy in case the wind picks up or it decides to randomly rain.
[/b]
lol especially in wellington where regardless of the season it tends to decide to do that at some stage daily!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

bellelas, where are you from?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:58 PM   #17
I'll rock your socks off

I am a citizen of the planet earth....

Texas. Been around though. Leaving here after graduation...

Old 10-20-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
TPunk Recognized

how did you manage to hook up wtih an aussie?
(that is so cute, btw)
Old 10-23-2006, 06:48 AM   #19
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Send a message via MSN to davidd

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LaurieL622 @ Oct 19 2006, 01:50 AM) [snapback]142737[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
foo...that sounds great. i'd love to meet up. have you purched your tickets yet? where are you traveling from?

well, i will check out those sites. thanks everyone! as far as flexibility, i have to request the time off of work and once that's done with it's hard to change the days. however, i have not put in a request yet because im still trying to find cheap tickets. i have about 3 weeks between jan-feb and i havent picked out the weeks yet.

i really want to do some kind road trip to alice springs but i have no idea what the weather will be like there so i'm not sure how realistic it is in the summer time. are we talking vegas summers or much worse??
[/b]
Alice springs gets quite hot and is quite a bit out of the way for a three week trip so I would probably passs it up although if you really have your heart set on it definately go for it.

Here are some weather charts for alice springs http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tab...cw_015590.shtml

www.bom.gov.au will be good for any other climate info you might want about Australia
Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 AM   #20
Minister of Offense

Quote:
Alice springs gets quite hot and is quite a bit out of the way for a three week trip so I would probably passs it up although if you really have your heart set on it definately go for it. [/b]
Yeah, I wound up having to choose between doing Alice Springs/Uluru and Cairns - I could've done both had I shortened my time to run around more, but I chose to spend more time in each place (and hence skipped the red center) and dive the GBR!