Maghreb! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > Africa

Africa Wilderness with a capital W ! Paradise like landscapes, the Kilimandjaro and the Nile, huts and victorian architecture. Africa is a crossroads of civilizations, the land before time.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #1
call me Condi!

Smile Maghreb!

So, the bf is taking a much needed break from American consumerism/capitalism and going back home for Ramadan and a month after. I jokingly said, "well, think you could tear yourself away for a weekend and go on a desert trip with me if I visit?" And he said, "why only a weekend?" So I'm looking into it now. I didn't go to Morocco on my last two trips because I felt bad. He is always upset that he can't go home more often, so I would have felt like a jerk just saying, well hell, I grew up in America and we're *loaded* (such a relative statement), so I'm just going to break into my savings and go to Morocco, while you can't. So now I can go guilt free!! (Provided of course he didn't just say I was welcome to come because he's a sweet guy and changes his mind once I reiterate my serious intentions.) But anyway, because that little story is impressive to *nobody* but me, here's a site I found that I love so much, I'm going to marry it:

http://lexicorient.com/

It's sickeningly helpful. It makes me want to see MENA countries EVEN MORE, and makes it all seem possible. And if my mom ever finds out, she's going to shut the site down!
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Artist of Life

Jess! Awesome site!

Going back to Morocco for Ramadan? What better way to fast than go a place that is both hotter and dryer....haha... that's awesome. So i guess you'll be going back to MENA in Octber then?

I haven't heard too much about morocco, but I know they have awesome food...

How are you adjusting back to regular life after your whirlwind trip?
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

How awesome. We missed Ramadan, but arrived in Morocco on the second day of the Festival of Eid. It was amazing. Staying with a local is definitely optimal - we stayed with a college friend of my husband's - the family experience was outstanding.

Enjoy.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
call me Condi!

I think I'm going to go right after Ramadan. The problem is I'm definitely haram, and the conservative Islamic family unit does not know about me. Essentially, I would visit and he would take me around everywhere BUT his family. So it wouldn't be two months like he's going. And it wouldn't be ideal for me to "see" Morocco. It would be more like getting a small experience with a native (to follow up much later with a larger individual experience that he may or may not be there to guide me on). I really need to do the "double check" thing because you know how when you're in relationships, ideas sound like promises? Well, I've learned that one, so I need to see what's what before I get too too excited. I might go for the end of Ramadan and fool around on my own and have him show me around after.

Plus, I'm supposed to be fasting this year. I hardly eat on vacation anyways, but when I need to eat I need to eat! So I may set myself up for failure if I travel while I'm fasting (and thus have to adjust my time, and probably not eat for a day or more consecutively to right my body clock PLUS water) and end up in a place where there are lots of witnesses to my failure.

But apparently his sister is an amazing cook (with what he learned from just watching, she must have magical kitchen abilities), so maybe he'll sneak some stuff to me. I seriously imagine myself hiding in an alley so I don't get "caught" while I'm in Casablanca on this trip...yes, lots of decisions to make before I decide what I'm doing. (I know those emoticons *look* different, but they're really the same thing, aren't they?!!?)
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
But anyway, because that little story is impressive to *nobody* but me
Haha you are fantastic.
louse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:32 AM   #6
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Jessica View Post
I really need to do the "double check" thing because you know how when you're in relationships, ideas sound like promises? Well, I've learned that one, so I need to see what's what before I get too too excited.
yup. grr very annoying. no-one understands how excited us travel people get at the idea of travel - you can't suggest something unless it WILL happen!
Old 06-11-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Wow...great opportunity and a bit of a conundrum all in one. I'd sit down with him and grill him on this. Make sure you're not going to be putting undue stress on him (and thus, your relationship) by you going. Nothing would be worse than you imagining this dream situation, then having things deteriorate over there, and you guys end up fighting. Add that to the feeling of being an outsider anyway being in a foreign country, and it could make it miserable.

So, talk this out beforehand, is my advice...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
call me Condi!

I'm going to play the summer out, I think. Very sound advice, Mike. I think my worst fear is that I would go depending on him as the person I've known for the past year in the US, and when I went, I'd be going after he'd been "home" for over a month and not used to tolerating my Americanisms. Plus, I think I am going to start a new job pretty soon and there will be significant travel. I would much rather visit Morocco when I can meet his brothers and sisters, and I'm not a big secret. Even if it ends up being stellar, it will be a bit of a mind***k for me. Besides, with this one, absence definitely makes the heart grow fonder, so I'm interested to see if he wants me more after two months, or has decided he can live without me. Like a cultural metric??

Still, in my dreams it's all and we're both completely tolerant of one another's culture!
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Old 10-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #9
The " ... " queen of TP!

SO what did you decide...Ramadan's almost over are you going or not?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #10
call me Condi!

Ahh I had forgotten I posted this. I've decided that I want to let him have his vacation. I'm traveling all the time, so this is his adventure. Also now he can be excited to see me after two months and not all like "yeah, I saw you last week." And it saves me money. And I don't want to either be hidden from his family or feel like I inadvertently "forced" him into introducing me. And I'm quite happy right now receiving postcards and lovey dovey emails.

He mentioned me going a couple times seriously right before he left, but I didn't address it because I didn't want to be a buzzkill. Buuut as an alternative, I am thinking of taking a day trip to NYC to pick him up from JFK when he gets back. I'd leave whenever I woke up (I'd still be a little foggy post marathon) and park at the airport, subway to Manhattan and hang out. Hopefully my cousin will be around and I can take her to dinner (sushi!!) and then get out to the airport rested and well-fed so I can pick him up and drive home! We'll see though, I'm not going to force it on him if he wants to spend the night in Jersey with his friends before coming home.
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325